Monday 13th May 2019

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of the Community Hub (this site).

We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here:


libreoffice24-margin libreoffice

  • 6.2.3 SRU to disco -> verification done
  • 6.1.6 SRU to cosmic -> verification failed, fix prepared.
  • Japanese new era “Reiwa(令和)” support SRUed to xenial, bionic, and cosmic
  • Impress embedded video fix SRUed to bionic and cosmic
  • Coordinated with doko on xenial and bionic SRUs for openjdk backport support
  • Discussed the possibility of using libreoffice-style-breeze as the default icon theme
  • USN refreshed snap

snapcraft24 snaps


:computer_mouse: Gnome Shell performance (stutter | latency | CPU):

:computer_mouse: Gnome Shell other work:

:beetle: Release bugs:

:pick: Backlogs progress:

  • :chart_with_downwards_trend: Good news (falling backlogs): chromium-browser
  • :chart_with_upwards_trend: Bad news (consistently growing backlogs): ubiquity
  • Eoan
    • changed the default document font back to Sans 11 (upstream changed to Cantarell in 3.31 but we don’t install that one)
    • network-manager 1.8 merge/update
    • dropped a patch from ibus which was not needed anymore and creating an issue
    • reviewed/sponsored to eoan software-properties pending fixes from andyrock (livepatch refresh issue and new checkbox control to show or not the indicator)
    • reviewed/sponsored to eoan update-notifier pending fixes from andyrock for livepatch (status refresh and not showing an indicator when not in use)
    • gupnp/gssdp soname transitions
    • desktop updates, gupnp (debian/eoan), nautilus (eoan/disco), gnome-desktop3 (debian/eoan)
  • SRU
    • upload new gvfs SRUs to build with the updated samba in bionic/cosmic which should fix the smb browsing not working
    • uploaded/SRUed (disco) a color-conversion-fix for gstreamer-vaapi
    • backported a geocode-glib fix to bionic to avoid gnome-calendar segfaults
  • Other
    • HR reviews
    • usual share of bugs triage/planning/work tracking discussions
    • Travel to Lyon for planning sprint
  • Did some work to improve classic snaps using desktop-launch, still WIP
  • Other:
    • Created a new trello board and moved snap related tasks to it
    • Automated creation of trello cards for USN updates and added lists to manage them
  • network-manager: Made Bionic SRU (upgrade to 1.10.14) getting finally landed (Bug 942856, Bug 1754671, Bug 1809132), especially added a fix for the autopkg tests and the SRU team accepted it without new verification process. This also unblocks the SRU for bug 1819615 (ModemManager upgrade to 1.10 for hardware enablement). Thanks to @tjaalton, @Laney, and Lukasz.
  • network-manager/systemd: Tested Bionic fixes on both packages for a Bionic SRU for Bug 1754671 (Full-tunnel VPN DNS leakage regression) successfully and added the systemd SRU to the bug report (Only the NM SRU does not fix the bug). Thanks @Laney for the hint to the upstream fix.
  • modemmanager: Prepared Cosmic and Disco SRUs for bug 1828102 (Regression in ModemManager).
  • cups-filters: Escalated bug 1828401 (Printing stops working after Ghostscript security update to 9.26) to the security team as a security update regression, provided them my upstream fix and testing instructions and they issued the fix for all supported Ubuntu releases immediately.
  • cups-filters: Worked out upstream update plan for this week: 1.22.6: Bug fix release, including all fixes currently in the GIT, plus fix for possible duplicate page-ranges option application and grayscale PostScript jobs to be actually printed in grayscale; 1.23.0: Support for “print-scaling” IPP attribute (solving A4/Letter issues, fitting photos to fill page, …); 1.24.0: Deepak Patankars GSoC 2018 work of auto-selecting printers with cups-browsed and mixed clusters of remote CUPS printers and native IPP printers.
  • Google Summer of Code 2019: Student projects officially announced by Google: Linux Foundation will get all the 12 requested student slots, so all the 5 selected OpenPrinting students will do their projects this year.
  • Linux Plumber’s Conference 2019: Phone meeting with people from the Linux Foundation, they liked our proposal for the OpenPrinting mini-conference. Sent out e-mails asking people to participate.
  • OpenPrinting: Monthly phone meeting and monthly summary of the OpenPtrinting work.
  • Bugs.
1 Like

Hacking at GNOME

  • Continued working in my branch
  • Fixed gnome-shell custom stylesheet crash and refactor of theme css management [MP]
  • Fixed a memory hog in gnome-shell themes [MP]
  • Fixed JS erros in gnome-shell on screen keyboard [MP, merged]
  • Made keyboard to be really destroyed when disabled or after touch inactivity [MP]
  • Fixed broken keyboard scrolling in faded scroll-view [MP]
  • Got my g_autoqueue proposal merged in GLib [MP]
  • Added support to functions lists and queues in GLib adding g_clear_{(s)list,queue}_full() [MP]
  • Added a clear signal handler function to GLib g_clear_signal_handler [MP]
  • Upstream reviews


  • Follow-up on bionic SRU with a fix for a SRU regression on spread animation [MR, merged]
  • Prepared crash-fix cherry-picks for gnome-shell in master and disco [MR, needs sponsor]


  • SRU verified disco bugs, all dd-incoming are commited while the in progress one are waiting for sposorship
  • bionic bus (a part from the XUbuntuCancel ones) are all waiting for SRU team to review the SRU
  • Did some initial looking at the new systemd --user stuff (MR); started preparing in a PPA for testing
  • Helped Till with the network-manager upload, assisting with test fixes and debugging the DNS leakage fix and sponsored the upload.
  • Some updates (gjs, gnome-calendar + SRU to disco, vte2.91, desktop-icons (not uploaded yet))
  • Worked on a GDM/gnome-shell fix for unreliable wayland to X fallback/session registration, after chatting with upstream about how to do it. That’s to fix LP: #1798790.
1 Like

firefox24 firefox

  • prepared 66.0.5+build1 update
  • did some preliminary investigation on bug #1697122 (Package Firefox with MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1 …)

chromium22 chromium

  • fixed bug #1828192 (stop build-depending on libgnome-keyring)
  • updating beta to 75.0.3770.27
  • updating dev to 76.0.3788.1
  • progress on deb to snap transition:
    • re-wrote the apport hook to allow reporting a bug on launchpad against the snap, with all the relevant information
    • install symlinks for chromium-browser and chromedriver executables, and patch chromedriver in the snap for compatibility with existing chromedriver scripts
    • discussed with Séb the need to check for available disk space before copying an existing chromium profile, which can weigh a lot

libreoffice24-margin libreoffice

  • sponsored Marcus’s uploads for xenial, bionic and cosmic SRUs


  • Updated PR #6767 (icon theme support) to handle some of the missing features: support for parallel installed snaps, and proper clean up empty directories on package install. I’ve removed the “WIP” tag from the PR, but there is an open question of whether image files should be validated. There isn’t currently any validation for snap icons, so I don’t know if this is related or not.
  • PR #6813 has been merged. This was a simple change to make sure that XDG_DATA_DIRS is set for desktop logins when the user is not using bash or sh. The change was prompted by zsh users not seeing the .desktop files for applications installed as snaps.
  • Updated other pending snapd PRs. I need to follow up to see if there is any more blockers beyond time to review.


  • There was a request from upstream xdg-desktop-portal for information about whether a snapd was using pid namespaces as part of its sandboxing. This is in relation to a PR adding a new “game mode” portal API.