Monday 11th March 2019

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of the Community Hub (this site).
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: https://community.ubuntu.com/t/monday-4th-march-2019/10020
Next week’s notes are here: https://community.ubuntu.com/t/monday-18th-march-2019/10198

:shell: Gnome Shell/Mutter:

• :eyeglasses: Updated MR !474 to fix LP: #1817546 (Changing the volume with the mouse wheel over icon locks up gnome-shell)

:control_knobs: Gnome Control Center:

:shield: Livepatch:

• :heart_decoration: Proposed fix for LP: #1816423 (Tells you that livepatch will be disabled when it wasn’t enabled before)
  • :heart_decoration: Proposed fix for LP: #1818992 (segfault in software-properties-gtk)
  • :heart_decoration: Proposed fix for LP #1794236(Permission denied when attempting to run canonical-livepatch on Ubuntu 18.10)
  • :gear: Add a canonical-livepatch indicator.

:genie: Others:

Legend
:white_check_mark: All done
:gear: Work in progress
:eyeglasses: On review
:heart_decoration: Waiting for review

1 Like
  • Uploaded snapd-glib 1.47 to 19.04, 18.10, 18.04 LTS and 16.04 LTS.
  • simple-scan 3.32.0 released.
  • Updated gnome-software in disco to 3.31.92
1 Like
  • 14.04.6 testing.
  • Continued on zfs on desktop specification.
  • Followed up on ubuntu-cdimage and debian-cd MPs.
  • Proposed patch to auto-install open-vm-tools-desktop on VMware guest at installation time (LP:1819207) and proposed PR upstream.
  • Remmina
    • Helped upstream fix some issues with their snap, updated to core18 and gnome-3-28-1804 PR
    • Setup CI builds to publish to the store PR
  • xdg-desktop-portal{-gtk} SRUs
    • Verified for bionic
  • Published 3.31.92 of gnome-calculator and gnome-system-monitor to stable/ubuntu-19.04 so our live images will have the app menu
    • Based on core18, so for now we only want disco installs to get it
1 Like

:shell: World

• Working on the xrandr branch, looking at the direct-rendering clients
  • Looking for better multimonitor handling (need to compute absolute crtcs locations, and this is a bit complicated without breaking some current assumption).
  • Landed new dash-to-dock (with unity-inspired handling of clicks on apps with multiple windows opened)
  • Working on shell boxpointer (menus base) scaling issues [WIP MR]
  • Unscaled nested mode for mutter (needs fixes, but has things needed for xrandr multimonitor handling) [MR]
  • Review and different approach proposed in the st-content crash fix
  • Fixed the cursor in magnifier, following up in an upstream MR that was not enough.

:paintbrush: Yaru

:earth_africa: Misc

2 Likes

:computer_mouse: Gnome Shell performance (stutter | latency | CPU):

:beetle: Release bugs (and friends):

:pick: Backlogs progress:

• :chart_with_downwards_trend: Good news (falling backlogs): firefox, xorg, gnome-terminal, nautilus
  • :chart_with_upwards_trend: Bad news (consistently growing backlogs): ubiquity
  • :question: Anyone want more packages added to the chart?

:house: Housekeeping:

firefox24 firefox

• tested and validated gcc-mozilla patch, copied it to ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa and rebuilt firefox 65.0.2+build1 on arm* (trusty, xenial)
  • filed an upstream bug to track the work needed to rebase the snap on core18 (I’ll be testing and submitting the changes to snapcraft.yaml)

thunderbird24 thunderbird

• prepared update for 60.5.3+build1, handed over to the security team

chromium22 chromium

• added chromedriver to snap − now merged back in all branches that publish to the store
  • updated stable to 72.0.3626.121 (with a fix for CVE-2019-5786)
  • updated beta to 73.0.3683.67
  • updated dev to 74.0.3724.8

libreoffice24-margin libreoffice

• tested and validated 6.1.5 SRU for cosmic
  • 6.2.1 final is out, now in disco
  • desktop updates
    • gedit
    • evince
    • file-roller
    • gnome-initial-setup
    • gnome-control-center
  • started a discussion with the SRU team about making SRUs to nonLTS non mandatory
  • removed fwupd-i386-signed from disco/added to the sync blacklist, that allowed fwupd 1.2.5 to migrate
  • some easy syncs
  • backported a grilo-plugins fix for euronews
  • updated th ubuntu-font to include the thin variant
  • helped with the poppler migration, done now!
  • backported a gdm fix for suseng team, uploaded as a SRU to bionic
  • travelled to London for some meetings

rls bugs
1778322, blocked on the server team/samba to backport a new function needed by gvfs
1812683, reassigned to Didier for extra investigations
1781597, blocked on the current n-m upload to clear out of proposed

• Updates: glib2.0 glib-networking ×2 mutter gnome-shell gnome-shell-extensions gnome-system-monitor
    • mutter broke budgie-desktop some more, fixed that harder and coordinated with @3v1n0 to push that upstream
  • Sponsored gnome-control-center for @seb128, with extra translation fix for Debian, was already in Ubuntu.
  • Fixed a bug in indicator-application where it broke indicators in Shell and SRUed.
  • Debugged systemd/arm64 autopkgtests and relayed info to @xnox, then hinted glib2.0 in as it was not the cause of these failing.
  • autopkgtests: bos01 cloud went down unexpectedly after some maintenance - helped IS a bit with getting that fixed.
  • Reviewed a britney2-ubuntu branch for Łukasz.

GNOME 3.32

• Lots of 3.32.0 packaging for Debian and Ubuntu 19.04. More will be landing in the next few days.
  • Did upstream 3.32.0 releases for gedit, gedit-plugins, gnome-mahjongg, gnome-menus, gnome-tetravex, gnome-tweaks, mousetweaks, quadrapassel, and tali. (I did 3.31.92 releases for some of those too.)
  • Fixed a mistake in the help build from my gnome-klotski meson conversion.
  • Restored a minimal Sundry menu for upgraders (it’s at least better than X-GNOME-Sundry). To get rid of it, after upgrading, run gsetttings reset-recursively org.gnome.desktop.app-folders (assuming you haven’t made any customizations to the app folders).
  • Provided Ubuntu perspective to the 3.34 Release Schedule planning.

Debian

• gjs 1.54 built with mozjs60 finally landed in Debian Buster
  • gnome-books and gnome-documents 3.32 RC have landed in Debian Buster.
  • Discussed webkit2gtk security update plans for Buster with Debian’s Security Team. I may have more specifics on this topic next week.

In progress

• tracker-miners test assumes that it is built with libiptcdata support (but we don’t do that in Ubuntu because it’s a universe package) so we need to either fix the test or skip it for now.
  • There was a strange error from dh_install about missing files with tracker-miners. I haven’t had time to look into it more.
  • I don’t know if we want to try to get tracker 2.2 in to Ubuntu 19.04. I don’t think anything in GNOME requires it yet.
  • geary is still broken on s390x
  • Reported a ppc64el and s390x issue with webkitgtk
  • We need to update libosinfo to 1.4 to upgrade GNOME Boxes to 3.32.0. We should probably do that in Ubuntu now without waiting longer for it to be done in Debian first.

To Discuss

• Center windows by default? There is a conflict between LP: #1758314 and LP: #1796548. (We centered windows by default for 18.10 and the 18.04 Communitheme.)
1 Like

snapd dbus activation:

• I’m finishing up bringing the tests up to date with the new syntax agreed on in Malta. I’ll need to get a second round of review for the code.
  • I need to

snap user daemons:

• investigating how I can use feature flags to make this PR acceptable for merge while the snapd user agent idea is still in development. While the code is all Go, I don’t obviously have access to the state tracking machinery when writing out wrappers, so it may be easiest to treat it as an exported feature.

Other:

1 Like
  • Network Manager: bug 1796622 (NetworkManager IPv6 DAD lifetime behavior introduce security risk): Low priority as it is for the short-life Cosmic (non-LTE). Agreed on that best solution is to upgrade the upstream version than to backport the patch.
  • Network Manager: First look into the snap.
  • Modem Manager: Set up Bionic VM to upgrade to 1.10 (plus underlying libraries) for better hardware support (bug 1819615).
  • Google Season of Docs 2019: The new program got announcred and we want to participate as the Linux Foundation/OpenPrinting. Free software organizations get docs written from technical writers.
  • Bugs.