Meltdown, spectre - beginner ubuntu user

Hello this is my first post here. I would like to ask what a beginner ubuntu user should do in case of meltdown / spectre. I have found this site with patch for linux: site with patch and also article on ubuntu wiki: spectre and meltdown - ubuntu wiki with a lot of descriptions and details of updates. On one subpage I have found pretty obvious commands like: sudo apt-get update, but… here is my question: Is that enough just to update OS from command line? (or do I have to apply an appropriate patch on my own?)

1 Like

Check Software & Updates and then Additional Drivers. Check “Using processor microcode firmware…” to make Ubuntu load the microcode updates for the processor.
Also, check if your pc/mainboard manufacturer has issued a bios upgrade to mitigate the security issues already.

1 Like

I’ve moved this to the https://community.ubuntu.com/c/support-help-requests category because this site isn’t designed to take tech support questions. Sorry. I’d recommend using one of the official support channels listed on the Finding Help page.