My name is Mauro Gaspari, and I would like to submit my application to become an Ubuntu Member.
- I have been involved with Linux since the late 1990s, and I have jumped on board with Ubuntu since its first release. I have been promoting the use of Ubuntu Server with all my commercial clients at my previous jobs, and I have also been spreading the word about Ubuntu and Ubuntu flavors with friends, clients, and people I have met over the years. I am one of those people who always has a few USB thumb drives at hand with Ubuntu ready to go.
- I contributed to the documentation of the openconnect server, mostly testing on Debian, Ubuntu, and Gentoo. You can find some of my documentation efforts here: https://ocserv.gitlab.io/www/recipes.html
- I have been part of various Linux communities, such as Destination Linux and Tux Digital, for a long time, and I have been involved in writing articles mostly for Ubuntu Flavors for various sites, such as Front Page Linux: https://frontpagelinux.com/author/ilvipero/
- I helped Ubuntu Studio with some articles and tutorials on JACK audio. Those articles can also be found on Front Page Linux: https://frontpagelinux.com/author/ilvipero/
- I am the community manager for Ubuntu Budgie. My responsibilities within the team are mostly around managing donations, the swag store, the community, social media, and communications. You can find some of my articles here: https://ubuntubudgie.org/blog/
- I am creating themes for Chrome and Chromium-based browsers with artwork from the Ubuntu Wallpaper competition winners: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/mantic-minotaur-23-10-wallpaper-competition/37235/121
- I have been fortunate enough to be the main organizer for the Ubuntu Summit 2022 and 2023. It was a great experience for me to be able to work with so many great people from the FOSS community. Ubuntu Summit 2022, Ubuntu Summit 2023, and Ubuntu Summit blogs
- I am leading the effort into modern communication platforms for the Ubuntu Community: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/modern-communication-platforms-call-for-feedback/36763/25
- I lead the Flavor Sync meetings and work with Flavor representatives and Canonical staff to make sure our official flavors have a great experience. I organize and lead video meetings and in-person meetings each year at the Ubuntu Summit. I write reports on discourse and make sure that issues and requests are properly addressed.
- I represent Ubuntu and Canonical at various events, such as Akademy and GUADEC. Before each event, I write a blog post and a discourse report afterward. Before reaching the countries I visit for those events, I do my best to reach out to local communities, invite them to the events for a chat, and get people to share their experiences and give us some feedback. While at events, I also promote LoCo activities to people who are not native to the country that hosts the event. When possible, I attend community, inclusion and diversity talks, BoFs, and sessions.
These are a few things that I want to do in the near future:
- Help spread the word about Ubuntu membership and its perks, and encourage people to apply. There are many long-time contributors, and new and energetic community members that should apply and help us shape the future of Ubuntu.
- Encourage more donations to the Ubuntu Community Donations Fund. With more funds, we can have more community events and activities, and spread the word about Ubuntu even more.
- Share my knowledge with more Ubuntu people who might benefit from it. Help people who want to form LoCos, Flavors or Ubuntu-related projects, with processes, best practices and documentation on “how to get started”.
- Bring the workshop “Presentation Skills” I created with Igor Ljubuncic to more events. The goal is to encourage people to step on the stage and tell the world the wonderful things they created with open source.
- Overall, continue spreading the message that the Ubuntu community is fun, welcoming and awesome all year long!
My Launchpad account: https://launchpad.net/~ilvipero