The matrix component can be useful to display a selection of items in a format that is less linear than a normal list.
When to use
- When displaying a series of elements that have the same hierarchy
- To visually organise items
- To display products, features, statistics, apps, etc.
When not to use
- When there is too much variation in the length of the descriptions or the titles
- To display items that are not of the same type or level of hierarchy
- When the user is required to go through all the items. A linear list could be more useful in this case.
- To display 2 or less items
- The content can be laid out into 2 or 3 columns.
- The designer can choose whether to have horizontal or vertical dividers, or both.
- Titles can also include links.