March 8, Women's Day - Marzo 8, Día Internacional de la Mujer - Bogotá, Colombia

English

I was invited by professors Alfredo Lopez and Philippe Boland to participate in the ICANN Universal Acceptance Day as a closing speaker, taking into account that the UA Day was on march 8th and that this day was also the International Women’s Day my conference was focus in participation of women’s in technology and in communities.

During the preparation of the conference I found data that I already knew, women make up 50% of the population, but at the work level this is not the same, we are far below in participation in the workforce, this happens both in Colombia and in the world. In the field of artificial intelligence we are only represented at 22%, this is critical, because it makes it easier for problems related to women to be forgotten since there is no one who cares about them.

In Colombia we are having more access to education, but there are still wage gaps, the unemployment rate is still higher for us and we continue to participate less in technology careers.

The final data, sadly impressive, was what I found at the Geek Feminism Wiki: “GitHub 2017 survey found that 3% of FLOSS contributors are women”, at this wiki there is a summary of how we as women are being invisibilized.

So, it is highly important to talk about women in tech, to promote women in tech and that’s the main reason why I am writing this post. It is important that things change for us and we need men to help to make those changes real. So I want to leave here some recommendations for man in order to facilitate women friendly environments:

• Please evaluate if what you are saying to a women you would say to a man.
  • Take care of your body language.
  • Take care of sexualization.
  • Don’t make us invisible.
  • Don’t steal our ideas and present them as yours.
  • Support women without being condescending.
  • If a woman complains about inappropriate behavior by men, she encourages the case to be investigated and does not minimize it.
  • Create safe and respectful spaces.

If you are a woman in this community I want you to know that there are women working in the community and I personally would be happy to share with you and help promote more women.

Special thanks to Alejandra Zerdá for her editorial support in the presentation :grinning:

Español

El pasado 8 de marzo asistí a la Universidad ECCI por invitación de los profesores Philippe Boland y Alfredo Lopez, para brindar una conferencia sobre mujeres en tecnología y en comunidades FLOSS, esto en el marco del día de la Aceptación Universal de la ICANN que coincidió con el día Internacional de las mujeres.

Durante la preparación de la conferencia encontré datos que ya conocía, las mujeres somos el 50% de la población, pero a nivel laboral esto no es igual, estamos muy por debajo en participación en la fuerza de trabajo, esto ocurre tanto en Colombia como en el mundo. En el campo de la inteligencia artificial estamos representadas solo en 22% esto es crítico, porque facilita que los problemas relacionados con las mujeres se olviden dado que no hay quién se preocupe por ellos.

En Colombia estamos accediendo más a la educación, pero aún hay brechas salariales, la tasa de desempleo sigue siendo mayor para nostras y seguimos participando menos en las carreras de tecnología.

El dato final, que fue tristemente impresionante, fue el que encontré en al wiki Geek Feminism Wiki, esta wiki muestra que la contribución de mujeres en FLOSS es del 3% “GitHub 2017 survey found that 3% of FLOSS contributors are women”. Esta wiki también cuenta como somos invisibilizadas.

Entonces, es muy importante hablar sobre las mujeres en la tecnología, promover a las mujeres en la tecnología y esa es la razón principal por la que escribo esta publicación. Es importante que las cosas cambien para nosotras y necesitamos que los hombres nos ayuden a hacer realidad esos cambios. Por eso quiero dejar aquí algunas recomendaciones para los hombres con el fin de facilitar ambientes amigables para las mujeres:

• Evalúe si lo que está diciéndolo a una mujer se lo diría también a un hombre.
  • Cuide su lenguaje corporal.
  • Ojo con la sexualización.
  • No nos invisibilice.
  • No nos robe las ideas y las presente como suyas.
  • Apoye a las mujeres sin ser condescendiente.
  • Si una mujer se queja de comportamientos inadecuados de los hombres favorezca que se investigue el caso y no lo minimice.
  • Espacios seguros y respetuosos.

Si eres mujer en esta comunidad quiero que sepas que hay mujeres trabajando en la comunidad y yo personalmente estaría encantada de compartir contigo y ayudar a promover más mujeres.

Agradecimiento especial a Alejandra Zerdá por su apoyo editorial en la presentación :grinning:

Content avaliable at - Contenido disponible en:

La presentación/presentation se encuentra disponible aquí.
El video de la charla se encuentra disponible aquí.

7 Likes