Keyboard layout switching shortcut periodically stops working

I’m running Ubuntu 18.04.1 with Wayland, and my issue began when I updated Ubuntu from 17.04 to 17.10.

I have two keyboard layouts set up, as shown below:

The keyboard shortcut for switching between them is Super+Space and, after a seemingly random time, it stops working. Curiously, Ubuntu’s gray boxes that show the layout switch always appear when I use the shortcut; the change simply is not reflected in the keyboard output.

I have tried, with Gnome’s tweaks utility, changing the key combination, but whatever I choose also stops working after some time.

One thing that brings the shortcut back to life is unchecking and checking any of the key combinations in Tweak’s keyboard additional layout options. That is, if I check and uncheck something else, it doesn’t matter what, Win+Space or any other combination starts working again.

Later I found I could reproduce this GUI check by running

dconf write /org/gnome/desktop/input-sources/xkb-options "[\"grp:win_space_toggle\"]"

But again, after some time, for no apparent reason, the shortcut stops working once more. And even when the shortcuts are not working, the output I get from

dconf read /org/gnome/desktop/input-sources/xkb-options

is the same as before, that is, ['grp:win_space_toggle']. So it seems that either dconf write is doing more than just updating this entry, or dconf read is returning some stale value.

Anyway, I’m confused. If someone could point me to how further diagnose this issue, I would appreciate it.

2 Likes

This site is for the co-ordination of the Ubuntu projects, and not support, and your post reads to me like a request for support.

For Ubuntu Support options, you’ll find many listed at https://community.ubuntu.com/t/finding-help/712.

A moderator will decide, but this post will be closed if they deem it off-topic such as a support request.

Try to reproduce the issue with a current (18.04) LiveUSB of Ubuntu.

Also check your logs to see if dconf or Gnome logged any helpful hints.

If you cannot reproduce the issue on a fresh system, then don’t bother reporting it.

If you can successfully reproduce the issue, then check the Gnome Bug Tracker to see if anybody else has already reported the problem. If not, then file the bug report on the Gnome Bug Tracker with enough detail for a Gnome triager to duplicate the problem.

Since Ubuntu does already have three official support venues to help you troubleshoot and report issues like this, I’m going to close this thread.

1 Like