Just updated to Ubuntu 20.04 from 18.04. Gee, it is not as good as you may think

I am new here. At some stage every one is.

Folks, I have used 18.04 for a few years and was happy with it, even with its quirks.

I decided to update to 20.x (The Gorilla) but there is the first problem.

When I open settings and go to about I don’t see any flavor mentioned. Gorilla or otherwise. (See later on * - way down actually)

Some things are better - but please don’t ask me to name them just now.
But I am finding annoyances just as quickly - or faster than benefits.

1 - Top left cornet to show all active tasks.
a) Painful to get it working. AFAIK, it just worked on 18.04
b) When I got it working the popup names for the tasks nearly completely covers the hot spot I need to click to get that task making it hard to select a task.
c) Every time I do this, the order changes. This makes it very difficult to swap between tasks.

2 - I have the popup menu on the right side of the screen.
I open a few windows of the same task. (Few is an understatement: however)
In 18.04 when I minimised windows, and then clicked on the icon on the right side of the screen, the most recently shrunk one would be at/near the top.
20.04.1: It can be anywhere.
Again: This makes it annoying when I am wanting to go back to recently shrunk windows.

3 - Snap to grid on the desk (desktop?) for icons.
Yes, it is nice to have things Neat and tidy but having them snap to a predefined grid is sometimes annoying.
In 18.04, I turned it off easily - if it was on at all.
In 20.04, I have followed a few links to do this, but they don’t work. The icons still snap to the invisible grid.

4 - Well, that was mentioned at the top: The about screen only says I am using Ubuntu 20.04.1. No flavor mentioned. Not a big deal, but it further complicates things from my end as I am not sure if this is the right place to mention these problems.

I get that I am new here and am limited to how many things I can post at the start.
I don’t want to flood this with screen grabs, but I can supply them if needed.

Oh:
5 - Screen shots. This was also true in 18.04.
Yes, it is nice they go in Pictures, but I prefer them to go into Pictures/Screen shots.
18.04 supposedly allowed this - but I never got it working. 20.04 will - most likely - have the same problem.

6 - On booting it tells me I am on Mains power (icon flashes up in top menu).
This is not a laptop, so I would hope I am. How do I stop that icon appearing?

7 - How do I re-order the icons I have showing in the top bar? (Not a big deal)

8 - Putting Icons on the desk. In 18.04 I think that was easy. Well, easy-ish.
I’d put the program in the menu (right side of screen) then drag it to the desk and a short cut would happen. I only did it a couple of times, so can’t beu 100% sure.
20.04… Not happening.

• From earlier on which version:
    VERSION="20.04.1 LTS (Focal Fossa)"
    So, ok, it isn’t the Gorilla. It is Focal Fossa.
    I’m guessing GG is after FF?

Anyway, it isn’t I want to seem unhappy with things, but the upgrade has really thrown a spanner in the works navigating multiple tasks.
Either by the top left window or the icon on the right side of the screen with the list of same tasks being random.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

18.04 was bionic beaver (BB), 18.10 was cosmic cuttlefish (CC)… 20.04 was focal fossa (FF), 20.10 is groovy gorilla (GG)… ie. the alphabet has been increasing letters since 2006.June (6.06) or drapper drake (Ubuntu’s 4th release); fyi: 21.04 or the next release will be hirsute hippo.

I’m not sure if your purpose is to leave feedback? seeking support? or in fact both.

This site is for the co-ordination of the Ubuntu project(s), and other non-support matters.

For Ubuntu Support options, please have a look at https://community.ubuntu.com/t/finding-help/709

1 Like

Thanks. It is just I am new here and knowing where to post is a bit confusing.

I’d prefer to not need to post, but such as it is.