Panorama - Is Solinas - Sulcis - Sardinia - Italy -
I agree with the others who believe that selecting only two of our photographs isn’t enough.
Winning the wallpaper competition for an Ubuntu LTS is a real recognition and acknowledgement, and these past years, the number of default wallpapers in Ubuntu has decreased considerably.
All the major OS (Windows, macOS and other Linux) offer many wallpapers, while Ubuntu is a bit austere.
Selecting the top 5 or top 10 would make us very satisfied as recognized community members !
Good day ^^
You are quite right that the our talented, and enthusiastic artistic community is indeed amazing, and each contributor should be recognized for their effort.
I gently suggest that there are LOTS of ways to recognize such talent and effort, and that inclusion in the install .iso image is a fairly limited form of recognition.
- An add-on deb package of wallpapers
- Add a wallpaper-of-the-week link to the Ubuntu Weekly News
- Create a Hall of Fame here on Discourse or on the Ubuntu Wiki.
- Run quarterly (or even monthly) wallpaper contests here on Discourse.
None of these require any kind of approval by Canonical Staff, nor any special resources. You don’t need to ask for permission. All can be started and managed by any group of community members. Start a new thread to get your fellow enthusiasts organized.
The current wallpaper contest is run by the Desktop Team in order to meet their needs. Their need is specific, and the contest reflects that. If you have found an unmet need or a way to improve the Ubuntu community…DO it.
gnome-backgrounds package for 22.04 just got updated (thanks Jeremy) and may provide some inspiration. You can also view the images here.
I’ve just noticed that .SVG files are supported too. So you can install Inkscape and get creative that way.
To keep the size of the ISO down, and to account for the other wallpapers, including the official wallpaper, we’ve kept it to two winners making it into the image. And right now we have no limits on how many images you can submit, as long as they meet all the requirements! (original, proper license, large scale available if chosen)
- As many as you’d like! Just be sure they follow all the guidelines (originality, license, proper size if chosen)
- Here’s a human-readable description of the license - they key things to know are once you grant CC by NA you can’t retract it, and you are able to sell the image however you like! https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/?ref=chooser-v1
- Officially for the ISO, yes, we keep it to two to help keep the ISO small, but there’s a discussion on how the community could do whatever they wanted to make and promote wallpapers! Make a wallpaper site, ask flavours or remixes if they want artwork, etc. This is just one thing the desktop team does that the Community Team helps with - it definitely doesn’t have to be the only thing!