Issue with Nvidia driver on Dell Inspiron 15 5577 laptop (with 'optimus'graphics)

After struggling with days trying to manually install the current Nvidia driver, I found that “software & Updates” will do it for me - almost. (SEE SOLUTION AT END OF STEPS)

Steps:

1. fresh install of 18.04 from live USB. (Both the live OS and the ‘install’ option require kernel parameter ‘nomodeset’).
  2. Boot into 18.04 for the first time (requires kernel parameter ‘nomodeset’, but the installer has already added this - Nice!)
  3. sign up for Canonical Livepatch and update OS. Reboot.
  4. Open “Software & Updates”, “Additional Drivers” tab. Choose “Nvidia driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-390”. Apply. Reboot.
  5. AT THIS STAGE, THE OS WILL NOT BOOT CORRECTLY - THE SCREEN IS DARK - NOTHING APPEARS
  6. Any one of the following kernel parameters will allow the system to boot properly:
  • pci=noacpi
  • pci=biosirq
  • noapic
  • acpi=off (note that whilst the system will boot, it is slow, screen refresh rate is poor - manifesting in jerky mouse movements or juddery movement when moving/resizing windows, and the system fails to power off when shutting down or rebooting)

hopefully this feedback will help improve the installer, or others that are having problems.

System: Dell Inspiron 15 5577 laptop
cpu: Core i7-7700 c
GPU1: Intel HD 630 integrated
GPU2: Gtx 1050m, 4gb ram
system ram: 8gb
kernel (after updates) : 4.15.0-33-generic (x86_64)
Ubuntu version 18.04.1 LTS