Introducing Kernel 6.8 for the 24.04 Noble Numbat Release

Lastest kernel (git://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-kernel/ubuntu/+source/linux/+git/noble, branch master-next) is failing to build for me in the install step for tools-perarch:

install -d /home/kernel/source/debian/linux-tools-6.8.0-24/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/linux-tools-6.8.0-24
install -m755 /home/kernel/source/debian/build/tools-perarch/tools/perf/python/perf*.so /home/kernel/source/debian/linux-tools-6.8.0-24/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/linux-tools-6.8.0-24
install: cannot stat '/home/kernel/source/debian/build/tools-perarch/tools/perf/python/perf*.so': No such file or directory
make: *** [debian/rules.d/2-binary-arch.mk:700: install-perarch] Error 1

Which is true, thereā€™s no shared objects there:

/home/kernel/source/debian/build/tools-perarch/tools/perf/python$ ls
tracepoint.py  twatch.py

But I donā€™t see any failures to create/copy shared objects, so Iā€™m not sure how to fix it.

So will the Noble LTS have the 6.8.4 kernel?

It will, but only as an SRU, unfortunately we were not able to promote the latest noble kernel with all the stable updates, due to some archive issues that delayed the promotion process (xz incident, etc.), so the kernels shipped in the release images will have the stable updates up to 6.8.1, plus a few cherry picked patches from stable.

4 Likes

Hi, today I upgraded my backup laptop from 23.10 to development version of Noble. Upgrade seems to go smoothly, system is up and running. Only issue for now is that it do not provide 6.8 kernel. I manually installed package linux-generic-hwe-24.04 but kernel is still not present (system run with 6.7.2).

Hi, the 6.8 kernel in older releases will be provided after the 24.04 release is out.

2 Likes

On Noble, you want linux-generic, not hwe.

@juergh is right, sorry, I didnā€™t read correctly, I thought you were asking for 6.8 kernel in older Ubuntu releases. :slight_smile:

Hello! I am using realtek 8822bu wireless adapter (driver 88x2bu). The driver for this chipset is available in kernel 6.5 but not working properly like: slow speed, no led, disconnect issue. Now is it possible for you to add this fully working driver in official kernel 6.8? Thank you.

This looks more like an upstream issue, we havenā€™t applied any Ubuntu-specific patch to that driver.

Unfortunately, I donā€™t have that hardware, so itā€™s pretty difficult for me to debug. Iā€™d suggest to report this issue upstream directly to the maintainer of the driver. If youā€™re up for experiments you may want to try the latest mainline kernel builds (Index of /mainline) to confirm that itā€™s really an upstream regression.

If youā€™re up for more experiments, you may also try some bisecting activity and test more pre-compiled mainline kernels between 6.5 and 6.8, to narrow down the range of commits and better identify which change introduced your regression.

My thinkpad t510 gets a hard hang with the ubuntu 24.04 install. If I use the ā€œsave videoā€ option then the live cd boots correctly.

This happens on other ubuntu* 24.04 installs as well.

FWIW, tried to install Solus OS and it also hangs during install so probably is the Intel video driver?

Using 22.04:
rob@T510:~$ lspci -k | grep -EA3 ā€˜VGA|3D|Displayā€™

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Subsystem: Lenovo Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller

Kernel driver in use: i915

Kernel modules: i915

1 Like

Do you get any error on the console or just a blank screen hang? Without any error itā€™s pretty hard to understand the nature of the problem. In this case Iā€™d give the usual suggestion to try some of the mainline kernel builds (Index of /mainline) and see if we can figure out when the regression was introduced.

The live USB boots and progresses to loading the desktop. Five second after I see the budgie or gnome desktop the system hangs, curson freezes, nothing I can do to recover. Again, if i select the grub option for ā€œsafe graphicsā€ then the boot works correctly.
I created this bootable usb ny downloading the official 24.04 .iso, then creating a bootable USB. My normal release is ubuntu budgie but the same thing happens with ubuntu gnome 24.04 iso download.

How does one do this?

OK, installed ubuntu budgie with nomodeset kernel option.
Then installed the linux 6.7 kernel and rebooted. No more lockups, everything works fine.

Microphone on Thinkpad T14s G4 AMD is not detected in standard kernel of 24.04. Microphone was working in 23.10, it is working with mainline higher kernels. There is bug described Bug #2060531 ā€œNoble update: v6.8.3 upstream stable releaseā€ : Bugs : linux package : Ubuntu ASoC: amd: yc: Revert ā€œadd new YC platform variant (0x63) supportā€. When this bug will be resolved in standard signed ubuntu 24.04 kernel ?