Introducing Kernel 6.11 for the 24.10 Oracular Oriole Release

The kernel for the Ubuntu release 24.10 (Oracular Oriole) is based on the upstream kernel 6.11.

Deadlines (Oracular Oriole Release Schedule):

• 2024-09-12T00:00:00Z: kernel feature freeze
  • 2024-09-16T00:00:00Z: beta freeze
  • 2024-09-26T00:00:00Z: kernel freeze
  • 2024-10-03T00:00:00Z: final freeze
  • 2024-10-10T00:00:00Z: final release

An experimental build of the latest Ubuntu Oracular kernel based on the latest 6.11-rc* is available in oracular-proposed, this kernel will be updated until it will replace the main kernel currently in 24.10.

Warning: this kernel is still experimental for now, use at your own risk!

Tight Release

As previously communicated in the Ubuntu Discourse post Kernel Version Selection for Ubuntu Releases, Ubuntu will now ship the absolute latest available version of the upstream Linux kernel at the specified Ubuntu release freeze date, even if upstream is still in Release Candidate (RC) status.

Given the current schedule of the upstream 6.11 development cycle, with 6.11-rc5 released on 2024-08-25, Ubuntu 24.10 will be considered a Tight Release from the kernel standpoint. This means that the Ubuntu 6.11 kernel included in the 24.10 release might have some limitations or known issues that will be addressed after the release.

What’s new since 6.8 (most noticeable changes)

NOTE: the following sections will be periodically updated as new features are merged or issues are resolved.

Upstream changes:

Ubuntu-specific changes:

• New Apparmor / Stacking LSM patch set
  • Built with GCC 14
10 Likes

Trying to upgrade (test env.) 24.10 with a do-release-upgrade -d, I get this message:

The 24.10 kernel does not currently support ZFS, and this system is
using ZFS. Upgrades will be possible at a later date.

Any more information on this ? (maybe a bug report?)

What is not clear about this message? Also, from the top post:

This means that the Ubuntu 6.11 kernel included in the 24.10 release might have some limitations or known issues that will be addressed after the release.

More details: Kernel Version Selection for Ubuntu Releases

1 Like

This is very clear ! I was just looking for some insights and rationale behind this specific limitation, and couldn’t find any information by googling…

Thanks for the link that gives some more context.

Is the 6.11 kernel only for x86 machines?

do-release-upgrade -V says I am running version 24.10.9, but I can’t figure out how to upgrade to the 6.11 kernel on my x13s arm laptop.

do-release-upgrade -d results in “Upgrades to the development release are only available from the latest supported release.”

Phoronix says here, though, that this is “for those running Ubuntu 24.10 daily builds and wanting to help test that new kernel version compared to Linux 6.8”. https://www.phoronix.com/news/Ubuntu-24.10-Preps-Linux-6.11

6.11 is still an rc kernel and only available from oracular-proposed:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux

For X13s, you might want to check https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/status-of-ubuntu-support-for-lenovo-thinkpad-x13s

1 Like

The generic ARM desktop image for Oracular now supports the X13s. Status of Ubuntu support for Lenovo ThinkPad X13s

The 6.11 rc kernel in oracular-proposed seems to also now support the x13s based on this recent commit: Bug #2078929 “Pull in latest X13s commits” : Bugs : linux package : Ubuntu

When I upgraded to the 6.11 kernel using ‘sudo apt install linux-image-generic/oracular-proposed’ Ubuntu wouldn’t boot.

I tried going that route because the new 6.11 kernel doesn’t show up when I run ‘sudo do-release-upgrade -p’. Instead it says, "no new release found’.

For anyone reading this, @juergh fixed my issue over here: Status of Ubuntu support for Lenovo ThinkPad X13s - #79 by juergh

Thanks, @juergh!!