Improving Ubiquity Installer for Intel RST based systems

Consider I have a computer with several hard drives and one RST storage that’s dedicated to Windows. I do not want to use it for Ubuntu, and I have a dedicated SATA drive I want to use for Ubuntu.

Right now the installer is preventing the user from installing Ubuntu on a non-RST SATA drive just because it detected RST on the computer.

The RST page needs to be improved. There should be a button for “Install Anyway”.

This RST page was added in 20.04 and has the major flaw I described above. Installer in all versions before 20.04 works just fine. The installer should warn but don’t block users from installing Ubuntu.

I have to point out that no distribution does this, except Ubuntu. There are many users who are trying to bypass this using some hacks, just to install Ubuntu on their non-RST SATA drive, including me.

You can take a look at the discussion here. Also, this is how users are currently bypassing it.

I think developers should either remove or improve the Intel RST page as soon as possible.

What do you think?

1 Like

Opinion: As somebody who helps with support in AskUbuntu, I’d be against a workaround that seems to mislead new/unskilled users into believing that their RST system will get Ubuntu installed if they click an “override” button.

Seems like it might be easier to fix the original bug instead of patching it with a workaround that may have its own bugs and corner cases.

2 Likes

I think you are misunderstanding. Even though having RST in your system, you can still install Linux in a drive that is not RST enabled.

In my case, I have RST disabled from BIOS. That means I’m able to install any Linux-based operating system on that drive. I have installed Arch, Manjaro, Fedora, PopOS, etc distro easily without any hassle. Even I have installed Ubuntu 18.04 and older versions on this system. But, when I try to install Ubuntu it shows the RST page and doesn’t let the user install it despite RST being disabled.

The problem is in the Ubiquity RST checker which was included in 20.04. It needs to be improved so that users can install Ubuntu in RST disabled drives.

The patch we are talking about is basically disabling the RST page from showing off. I know this is not a valid solution to the problem. Currently, I’m using Ubuntu 21.10 on my RST machine by modifying the RST check from the installer.

Another way of bypassing the Ubiquity RST check is to install Ubuntu 18.04 and upgrade one by one to the latest version, which is also a hassle.

What do you suggest for users like me? Who knows Ubuntu can be installed on their system, still not able to install it the easy way. The ubiquity installer needs some fixes.