A couple of years ago I spent a week or so reviewing which backup solution I wanted to go for. Murphy’s law dawned on me once again when I woke up to a laptop that had been pissed on (by myself, dont ask).
I have now opened up the laptop and taken out the drive to connect it to another computer by USB and I can view the folders on the drive. My problem is that I can’t really figure out how to determine which version of LUKS(or whatever) was used to decrypt it, and which terminal tools I need to use to decrypt it so that I can access the content on the machine I have connected it to.
It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could point me in which direction I should go to start troubleshooting or perhaps give me a brief guide on how to do it. My hope is that since the folders are showing up etc., my urine hasn’t reigned complete damage on the drive(pun intended?).
I am not sure if I have posted this in the right category, please move it about if so.
internetman@internetmachine:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 3,8G 0 3,8G 0% /dev
tmpfs 771M 18M 753M 3% /run
/dev/mapper/elementary--vg-root 914G 96G 772G 11% /
tmpfs 3,8G 62M 3,8G 2% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5,0M 4,0K 5,0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 3,8G 0 3,8G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda2 705M 327M 328M 50% /boot
/dev/sda1 511M 7,3M 504M 2% /boot/efi
tmpfs 771M 76K 771M 1% /run/user/1000
/dev/sdb1 19G 9,6G 7,7G 56% /media/internetman/TAILS 1.1.2 - 20140924
/dev/sdb6 96G 89G 1,5G 99% /media/internetman/TAILS 1.1.2 - 201409241
I guess it’s sdb1 and sdb6 I am interested in mounting+decrypting. The reason it says TAILS is because I installed it once and it has stuck to the bootloader forever for whatever reason.