How to install ONLYOFFICE for integration on Ubuntu

Key Value
Summary This guide will show you alternative ways to install ONLYOFFICE Document Server and all the dependencies it needs for further integration, on Ubuntu
Categories server
Difficulty 2
Author Maria Pashkina maria.pashkina@gmail.com

How to install ONLYOFFICE for integration on Ubuntu

Introduction

Duration: 2:00

ONLYOFFICE is an open-source collaborative office suite. It contains three editors for text documents, spreadsheets, and presentations, fully compatible with Office Open XML formats and enabling collaborative editing in real time. It can be integrated with: ONLYOFFICE collaboration platform that includes CRM, projects, document management system, mail, calendar, blogs, forums and chat (to learn more about its modules, refer to this tutorial ) or third-party web services, like Nextcloud, ownCloud, Alfresco, Confluence, SharePoint, Liferay, HumHub, or your own web app.

This last solution allows you to install ONLYOFFICE Document Server on your local server and integrate it with a whole variety of sharing services via ONLYOFFICE ready-to-use connectors or third-party integration apps.

ONLYOFFICE Document Server features the following:

• Compatibility with MS Office and OpenDocument formats : .docx, .xlsx, .pptx, .odt, .ods, .odp, etc.
  • Abundance of editing and styling features: hyperlinks, tables and charts, pictures, autoshapes, formulas or text objects, a bulleted or numbered list, and more.
  • Powerful collaborating capabilities: two co-editing modes (fast and strict), commenting, reviewing, tracking changes, integrated chat.
  • Document sharing permissions: full access, read only, review, comment, form filling, download and modify filter.
  • Extending functionality with existing plugins or building your own add-ons using the API.

ONLYOFFICE comes with a dual-license model. This means that as long as you respect the GNU AGPL v.3 license, you can use the ONLYOFFICE open source solution available on GitHub. For bigger teams, using ONLYOFFICE as a part of their SaaS or on-premise service, a commercial license is required.

WHAT YOU’LL LEARN

This guide will show you three alternative ways to install ONLYOFFICE Document Server and all the dependencies it needs for further integration, on Ubuntu:

• using deb. package
  • using Docker image
  • from snap package

WHAT YOU’LL NEED

• CPU: dual core 2 GHz or better
  • RAM: 2 GB or more
  • HDD: at least 40 GB of free space
  • Additional requirements: at least 4 GB of swap
  • Additional requirements:
  • PostgreSQL : version 9.1 or later
  • NGINX : version 1.3.13 or later
  • libstdc++6 : version 4.8.4 or later
  • Redis
  • RabbitMQ

Installation

Duration: 20:00

Install ONLYOFFICE Document Server on Ubuntu using .deb package

Installation with Debian based distributions also requires the presence of libstdc++6, NGINX and PostgreSQL in the system.

There are other dependencies installed automatically when you use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS or later:

• libcurl3
  • libxml2
  • supervisor
  • fonts-dejavu
  • fonts-liberation
  • ttf-mscorefonts-installer
  • fonts-crosextra-carlito
  • fonts-takao-gothic
  • fonts-opensymbol

Earlier distributions might require their manual installation.

1. Installing dependencies

Document Server uses NGINX and PostgreSQL as database. Dependencies found in the system repository will be installed automatically at Document Server installation using the apt-get install command.

Installing and configuring PostgreSQL:

Install the PostgreSQL version included in your version of Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install postgresql

After PostgreSQL is installed, create the PostgreSQL database and user:

The created database must have onlyoffice both for user and password.

sudo -i -u postgres psql -c "CREATE DATABASE onlyoffice;"

sudo -i -u postgres psql -c "CREATE USER onlyoffice WITH password 'onlyoffice';"

sudo -i -u postgres psql -c "GRANT ALL privileges ON DATABASE onlyoffice TO onlyoffice;"

Installing redis:

sudo apt-get install redis-server

Installing rabbitmq:

sudo apt-get install rabbitmq-server

Ubuntu 18.04 will require to install nginx-extras . This is done using the command:

sudo apt-get install nginx-extras
  1. Installing Document Server

Add GPG key:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys CB2DE8E5

Add Document Server repository:

sudo echo "deb https://download.onlyoffice.com/repo/debian squeeze main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/onlyoffice.list

Update the package manager cache:

sudo apt-get update

Install Document Server

sudo apt-get install onlyoffice-documentserver

During the installation process, you will be asked to provide a password for the onlyoffice PostgreSQL user. Please enter the onlyoffice password that you have specified when configuring PostgreSQL.

Install ONLYOFFICE Document Server on Ubuntu using the official Docker Image

Install the latest Docker version:

sudo apt-get install docker-ce

Execute the following command to install Document Server and all the dependencies:

sudo docker run -i -t -d -p 80:80 onlyoffice/documentserver

Install ONLYOFFICE Document Server on Ubuntu from snap package

To install ONLYOFFICE Document Server from the command line, just run the following command:

sudo snap install onlyoffice-ds

Installation complete

Duration: 02:00

Congratulations! ONLYOFFICE Document Server has been successfully installed. You can easily run it using secure connection at http://localhost.

Now, ONLYOFFICE can be easily integrated into your sync&share solution or a web application via the integration apps. Bring to your users online editors and collaborate on text docs, spreadsheets and presentations within the interface of you favorite platform.

Hello,

I need to update the tutorial I have posted by changing two following chapters. How should I proceed to do that?

WHAT YOU’LL NEED

• CPU: dual core 2 GHz or better
  • RAM 2: GB or more
  • HDD: at least 40 GB of free space
  • Additional requirements: at least 4 GB of swap
  • Additional requirements:
  • PostgreSQL : version 9.1 or later
  • NGINX : version 1.3.13 or later
  • libstdc++6 : version 4.8.4 or later
  • Redis
  • RabbitMQ
  1. INSTALLATION

2.1 Install ONLYOFFICE Document Server on Ubuntu using .deb package

Installation with Debian based distributions also requires the presence of libstdc++6, NGINX and PostgreSQL in the system.

There are other dependencies installed automatically when you use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS or later:

• libcurl3
  • libxml2
  • supervisor
  • fonts-dejavu
  • fonts-liberation
  • ttf-mscorefonts-installer
  • fonts-crosextra-carlito
  • fonts-takao-gothic
  • fonts-opensymbol

Earlier distributions might require their manual installation.

1. Installing dependencies

Document Server uses NGINX and PostgreSQL as database. Dependencies found in the system repository will be installed automatically at Document Server installation using the apt-get install command.

Installing and configuring PostgreSQL :

Install the PostgreSQL version included in your version of Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install postgresql

After PostgreSQL is installed, create the PostgreSQL database and user:

The created database must have onlyoffice both for user and password.

sudo -i -u postgres psql -c "CREATE DATABASE onlyoffice;"

sudo -i -u postgres psql -c "CREATE USER onlyoffice WITH password 'onlyoffice';"

sudo -i -u postgres psql -c "GRANT ALL privileges ON DATABASE onlyoffice TO onlyoffice;"

Installing redis :

sudo apt-get install redis-server

Installing rabbitmq :

sudo apt-get install rabbitmq-server

Ubuntu 18.04 will require to install nginx-extras . This is done using the command:

sudo apt-get install nginx-extras

1. Installing Document Server

Add GPG key:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys CB2DE8E5

Add Document Server repository:

sudo echo "deb https://download.onlyoffice.com/repo/debian squeeze main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/onlyoffice.list

Update the package manager cache:

sudo apt-get update

Install Document Server

sudo apt-get install onlyoffice-documentserver

During the installation process, you will be asked to provide a password for the onlyoffice PostgreSQL user. Please enter the onlyoffice password that you have specified when configuring PostgreSQL.

Please note that neither here nor on the OnlyOffice website do they make it very clear that you MUST USE 64 bit o/s. My old testing server has been upgraded over the years but started out on 32 bit, so it was a wee bit of a waste of time when I ran through this otherwise perfect article. All worked when I found a 64 bit machine!