How can we improve Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish for New Users?

I just installed 22.04 beta to try it out, and i installed it on a btrfs root partition.

What should maybe additionally be made is enable zstd compression on btrfs partitions to reduce i/o (and consequentally ssd wear). Fedora did the same thing.

Maybe a different domain, like desktop.ubuntu.com?

Great! Thanks for taking these concerns to heart. Iā€™d like the Ubuntu website to be as welcoming to new and potential users as Linux Mint, Manjaro, and what have you. And like the Ubuntu website of yore.

2 Likes

Very important point indeed , I understand the need to snap the ā€œapp Storeā€ but if it keeps ubuntu from supporting flatpak OOTB , we need to choose a better solution :

See Bug #1950158 ā€œ[RFE] Consider adding Flatpak pluginā€ : Bugs : snap-store-desktop

2 Likes

Thanks Tony, itā€™s likely to be iterative change to start with but weā€™re going to keep adding and refreshing over the year.

4 Likes

I would also like Software to be shipped as a deb. Thereā€™s no point having it as a snap - having it as a normal app means it can not only install snaps, but also normal APT packages and user can easily add flatpak support. Also Snapping the software store breaks gnomeā€™s excellent updater

Maybe some user friendly way of getting new kernels? Ubuntu often struggles on bleeding edge hardware, especially LTS

1 Like

The Snap Store does allow installing normal APT packages. There is a bug interfering with that on 22.04 but itā€™s being worked on.

6 Likes

Give an option to decrease the blurring in the lock screen

1 Like

I donā€™t seem to be able to create a new topic (I guess because I am a new user here), so I am posting this here.

I find Jammy to be much more polished than any other Ubuntu release since 16.04 (I am happy that this is the case and hope this trend will continue), however there is a small polishing issue that is easy, but unintuitive (for new users to fix).

By default Ubuntu does not theme software using the Qt toolkit and those apps therefore use some ugly ā€œdefaultā€ theme that does not fit in with the rest of the Yaru aesthetics.

The fix is of course to install qt5-style-plugins, qt5ct and then edit /etc/environment to include the line QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct. Then after reboot, qt5ct can be used to set the Qt theme to GTK and also configure the font and icon theme used by the Qt apps.

Are there any plans to extend Ubuntuā€™s default theme/branding to Qt apps?

The above mentioned method might be suboptimal in the long run as iirc the GTK Qt theme relies on the now-deprecated gtk2, however for Adwaita there is QGnomeStyle and Adwaita-Qt. Maybe it would be worth it to create a Yaru-based fork of Adwaita-Qt to ensure that Qt apps are always consistent with Yaru?

3 Likes

I think a good change would be a way to theme all applications not just legacy

1 Like

The qt5-gtk2-platformtheme is available within Jammy packages.
Including the qt5-image-formats-plugins [image formats module]
Also the package qt5ct [Config Utility] They are part of the
Universe packaging.

It could be good to have a welcome screen like the one of Ubuntu MATE or Ubuntu Budgie in original Ubuntu and all the flavors, instead of no welcome screen or a not-so-informative one.

3 Likes

Upon reviewing 22.04, I have found it to be very well tuned OOTB; however, I would like to see ttfmscorefonts added to the installer (Times New Roman etc) as well as a nice top panel weather app.

3 Likes

You can get the weather by installing Gnome Weather application. Once done and you set a place you get weather forecast in the calendar/notification pane.

3 Likes

You must get Microsoft to re-license those fonts to something compatible with the Ubuntu license before that would be possible. The blocker here is Microsoft, not Ubuntu.

Community members who want this change should feel free to work together at convincing Microsoft to change their policy.

5 Likes

Another cool thing I would add would be an included selection of nice screensavers ā€“ although the X-screensaver package on Software Manager is what I use.

1 Like

It is fantastic how I cannot open any file through Firefox. Shall I give credit to snap? Drag and drop is the only option with FB, Twitter and etc posting.

I donā€™t use Firefox. I only used it to get to the Brave website for the Ubuntu installation commands lol. Brave works great on 22.04!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Feature Freeze Exception: Seeding the official Firefox snap in Ubuntu Desktop

At least we can access pretty much everything we need via Ubuntu repositories and OEM repositories using commands :slight_smile: ā€¦ and for new users, most of these commands are copy + paste with right click into terminal ā€“ preventing error.

1 Like