Hirsuite and Impish hit by GVFS issue

Continuing the discussion from Your Comments and Feedback on the Desktop Experience AND the Community/Contributor Experience:

This issue I talked about has been described in many places over this year, e.g. [Wrong link (sorry)]
Both hirsuite and impish suffer from it. Distros based on Ubuntu suffer from it (e.g. Pop!_OS).
@madhens
@ian-weisser
Could you please make sure you won’t let it into 22.04? Links to Gnome repo in my next post below.
TYVM

1 Like

I don’t regularly visit Reddit, so I have not seen any of that discussion. Complaints about an “issue” that don’t lead to a reported bug or other real action seem a rather “Old man yells at cloud” activity

From the description, it’s hard to tell which bug report you are referring to…

…or if anybody has yet reported that particular bug.

The best way to move a bug report forward in Ubuntu is for a volunteer to triage it so it’s a useful and complete bug report, includes a priority, and has been properly upstreamed, Anybody can triage a bug – it just takes a bit of willingness to learn the process and to learn a bit about the software. You can also triage your own bug – many testers do.

• Imagine a developer has two bug reports in front of them. One is triaged/prioritized/actionable while the other is not. Which do you expect they are more likely to pick up and work on?

I know it’s frustrating for people used to a traditional customer/vendor relationship, but Free Software works upon a quite different basis since nobody owns the ecosystem and money changes hands relatively rarely.

• Ubuntu has no power to compel Gnome developers to fix bug X or Y.
  • Conversely, any Gnome volunteer familiar with the code can fix any bug they desire.
2 Likes

Oops! I’m terribly sorry for wrong link. Instead of the thread on Reddit I tried to refer to I inserted another link to the same Ubuntu Discourse post as before, my apologies, edited to be less confusing.

OK no Reddit. There are more relevant sources, how about AskUbuntu?
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1374187/nautilus-shows-me-error-when-i-try-to-open-a-folder-as-administrator/1374199#1374199

The suggestion there is to add some ppa and update gvfs from it. Meh…

But the real solution is to simply update Ubuntu’s gvfs which is a very outdated at the moment (this bug has been fixed in upstream with version 1.48 6 months ago while hirsuite and impish still have 1.47.91).
Here’s a link to Gnome’s repo relevant merge request with Gnome maintainer notes: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gvfs/-/merge_requests/122
Here is a link to the bug report:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gvfs/-/issues/552

Reason why I couldn’t describe it better before is that I just totally forgot about this issue since last time I struggled with it was half a year ago in Manjaro but now out of sudden I discovered it in Impish (again). Surprise!

1 Like

From gvfs package : Ubuntu we can see that Jammy already has 1.48.1:

Screenshot from 2021-11-11 08-52-51

So from your words, this bug should already be resolved for the next release.

1 Like

Say, that’s great news! The bug DID get fixed! And now we even have a link to the patch.

And thanks for posting links to Gnome work on the problem. You can see how it immediately moved the conversation forward .

‘Simply’ updating a deb to fix bug X or to add feature Y is a common request. However, that method tends to be slow (hence this thread) and also somewhat unfair (users who don’t upgrade to 22.04 won’t get the fix).

Consider instead using the normal Ubuntu workflow that is already set up so that community volunteers can push bugfixes much more rapidly than waiting many months for a future release:

• File the Launchpad bug
  • Apply the patch to the existing package for each supported release of Ubuntu
  • Test
  • Ping a core-dev team member to review your work and approve the bugfix patch-rebuild-and-upload.
  • After rebuild, patched packages go to the <release>-proposed pocket of the Ubuntu repositories, and then a week-or-so-later into <release>-updates. Then users start to get the patched package immediately.
3 Likes

You forgot the bit about SRU formatted description on the issue report. You also probably meant to tell to subscribe the sponsors, and to review the patched update uploaded to -proposed by either sponsor or core-dev and tag with verification-done-$version when you have verified that it works and remove the tag verification-needed-$version (where $version is an ubuntu codename).

All the gory details are described at StableReleaseUpdates - Ubuntu Wiki

2 Likes