Help.ubuntu.com surge protection?

I just visited help.ubuntu.com and got a 503 response:

Surge protection
Warning:

You triggered the wiki's surge protection by doing too many requests in a short time.

Please make a short break reading the stuff you already got.

When you restart doing requests AFTER that, slow down or you might get locked out for a longer time!

For folks with a shared external IP (which is a lot of freaking people!) this is really problematic. There has got to be a better way to do this.

1 Like

I also encountered that issue today. Can’t recall it has ever happened before during the 10 years I have been around. Is it a new ‘feature’?

I only get that error message for the Community Help Wiki, not when viewing pages in the official documentation. Is it the same for you?

1 Like

Yep, you’re right, so that’s better but only kind of. A lot of flavor agnostic stuff is on community.u.c.

Same experience as you.

I didn’t mean to say that the wiki isn’t important. But it indicates that it’s a wiki configuration thing, not a server ditto. Which is kind of surprising… Is anybody maintaining that wiki software nowadays?

Maybe this would motivate a rt.ubuntu.com ticket.

This page seems to be related.

Just FYI: but I discovered the issue last night and posted a question on #ubuntu-website (https://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2020/04/11/%23ubuntu-website.txt) but didn’t get an answer.

(I asked first on #ubuntu-discuss, and another user confirmed it wasn’t just me, prior to my post on #ubuntu-website)

Suddenly I can access the Community Help Wiki pages.

1 Like

Yep seems fixed! They must have heard us :rofl:

3 Likes