Google Code-In 2017
Applications for Google Code-In 2017 are now open! We - Ubuntu - are going to apply to take part!
I previously asked if we would participate in Google Code-In. We received some positive feedback and volunteers to mentor, so lets kick off our application here!
I have registered Ubuntu as an organisation with GCI. We have until Tuesday October 24th at 16:00 UTC to prepare our application. That involves updating the application metadata (I will do this) and creating a set of tasks for the students to do. I need help from mentors for this bit!
Before 24th October we need to come up with at least 25 diverse sample tasks. If we get accepted, we then have until November 28th to come up with *lots more tasks for the students. We don’t want the well to run dry for prospective students, so will need as many high quality tasks as possible.
- Fill in the application meta data (@Wimpress / @popey )
- Find more mentors (everyone). The more committed mentors we have, the better
- Add initial set of tasks to this topic (mentors)
- Publish 25 sample tasks to the application (@Wimpress / @popey )
Fill in the application
This is partly done.
Find more mentors
Everyone, please share this topic with others in the Ubuntu project who can commit to mentoring. We’d like a diverse set of mentors covering all parts of the Ubuntu Community.
Mentors! (@didrocks, @Wimpress, @elopio, @tsimonq2, @wxl, @kyrofa)
- Craft some tasks for our application. Some examples to get inspiration are available. (some of these may be familiar to you)
- Create a reply under this hub topic and paste your tasks in there.
- When you come up with more tasks, go back and edit your post and add them in
- Feel free to have discussion under this topic, if it gets too busy we’ll split conversations out to their own topics
We also have the
#ubuntu-google IRC channel on freenode for co-ordination. Feel free to lurk there too.
At the end of this process I’d expect there to be a bunch of replies underneath this topic, containing a variety of tasks covering the different categories. We need a minimum of 25 tasks to fill the application, we should aim for double that, to get great coverage across the categories and levels.