Gnome Tweak Tool

How about including the Tweak tool with the default distribution? Having extra customization options out of the box with Tweak tool would be nice for newcomers.

4 Likes

It’s been a request since so many years!
Some people need special font to read, not Ubuntu’s => one useful case.

It needs some cleanup regarding new options in g-c-c, though.

1 Like

I realize that Mantic runs v. 42, maybe it could be updated?
@jbicha

1 Like

Maybe have it included with the normal installation and not minimal installation.

2 Likes

There is a new version of GNOME Tweaks available for GNOME 45, but I ran out of time to update it in time for Ubuntu 23.10. The packaging ought to clean up the dropped “suspend when laptop lid is closed” tweak.

1 Like

gnome-tweaks is manually installed, so you may release the new version also after Mantic release, or not?

I wasn’t planning on updating the Tweaks app for 23.10, just for 24.04 LTS. I believe the new version does not add any new features but it does drop some that are obsolete or were considered unmaintained.

1 Like

When I look at what it remains in Tweaks, only icons and fonts are noticeable now, for me at least.
Wouldn’t it be good that GNOME devs integrate these two very classical settings? Or maybe Ubuntu in gcc panel?
A lot of other settings are now in gcc (overamp, date settings…).

Tweaks exists because gnome-control-center developers didn’t want to expose those settings, for various reasons. You can lobby them to integrate more settings here.

I personally would prefer Tweaks didn’t need to exist. It could be replaced with an experimental Settings panel that didn’t require ongoing design, but was just a table of key names, types and editable values.

4 Likes

Personally I won’t ask them again this kind of request. If you know what I mean.
:innocent:

I agree. With Linux Mint’s Cinnamon interface, tweaks are already a part of the regular customization menu – something I definitely missed when working with Gnome.

something like dconf-editor? or dconf-editor itself?

1 Like