Future of Ubuntu Community

Oh-Kay; in respect to the accusation that our sabdfl is neglectful of Ubuntu at large; Be aware he even takes the time to monitor such a small thing as the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter. In my capacity in producing the publication he personally gave an atta-boy to those of us who took up the responsibility to produce our community newsletter.
Now consider if he is responsive in the small things, how much more so is he in the larger things ?

We could all use a little more help in making the future of Ubuntu. Those who can step forward.

6 Likes

Having considered it over the weekend, with @wxl’s offer to help run the process, let’s go ahead and call for nominations to the CC. If folks could direct those nominations to @wxl during the rest of September, I will review and put forward the shortlist as usual in the second week of October, and that means we could have a new CC in place by the middle of October.

Which would be great.

Thanks for reminding me @wxl that it’s worth having the group in place even if it isn’t particularly active, it’s a good opportunity for those who do want to drive things forward to do so. There are is a great deal of good work being done, and it would be nice for people to have the CC in place to support that.

Apologies again for having dropped the ball.

19 Likes

Thanks, Mark. I’ll dig up the details on putting out a call for nominations and get that going shortly.

11 Likes

You might consider throwing your name in the hat as you were the only member of the last CC that actually seems to have stayed involved in the project and conversations. Others just stopped coming to meetings but you stuck around as the leadership COC requires.

6 Likes

Hi everyone,

it’s been a while since I didn’t participate to the community. Lack of time, and interests change. I’m less ans less interested by tech things, more and more by how people collaborate together. Thx to Ubuntu I became an agilist (Maybe I take the concept of Ubuntu to much at a first degree :p).

There’s few things I learnt during my journey.

First, to have enthousiasm, we need a vision. We need to know where we want to go, why we want to go. I remember the old days when @sabdfl published, the very day after a release, a blog post about the were, the why, the purpose of the next release journey, and the name of the release that which carried this objectives. This kind of stuff help me very much to say “Hey Hoy, I’m following you Captain!”.

Unfortunately, I find blogpost on your blog Mark, for few years.

I know your job as a CEO must be very hard, and Canonical does a very good job on Cloud, and IoT side, that allow Ubuntu to be a platform of choice for lots of workload, but if our Captain doesn’t share the vision, you know, People will always imagine the worst (The Johari’s Window model explain us that more an entity is open self, better is the communication).

Somewhere, I miss Jane, because she lets you be more present for us during the time when she was the CEO.

An other thing that’s missiong this days is the lack of Ubuntu’s summit. It was some great events to share the vision, had some feedback, and create engagement.

Leading an Open Organization like Canonical is difficult, but Canonical and Ubuntu’s Community need each others to grow, even if the community has changed, from desktop users and developers to platform users and developers.

To be brief, I think that our “Product Owner in chief” talk to us more often and reassures us :slight_smile:

And thx to still be concerned by this wonderful project you found even if you’re more discret this days. This impact is so positive

Cheers
Winael

8 Likes

Hey can someone (@popey?) give me access to post on #announcements or at least tell me how I can have somenoe else post there? I’d like to put out an official call for nominations.

Also, if anyone is interested in putting a name in the hat, please send your nominations to the Community Council mailing list at community-council@lists.ubuntu.com. I have access there, so will be able to see it. The name and Launchpad ID of whomever your nominating should be included in that email. (also don’t forget Ubuntu Membership is a prerequisite)

10 Likes

Can a person nominate themselves ? I am not too familiar with the CC processes so wanted to know that for sure.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Just make sure you’re an Ubuntu Member. I’m going to get an announcement going soon with all the details but you can look at some old calls for nominations to get an idea of how this all works:

https://fridge.ubuntu.com/2017/07/02/looking-for-community-council-nominations/
https://fridge.ubuntu.com/2015/09/16/community-council-call-for-nominations-2/

4 Likes

Done.

I have created a group here called “community-council” which (currently) contains @sabdfl as owner, and @wxl as a member. Granted that group access to post to the Announcements category on the site. Hope that’s suitable.
(no, we don’t have any kind of automatic sync between launchpad groups and here, yet).

6 Likes

This is very good news, thanks for moving forward with CC nominations.

3 Likes

Ok, we got an official call for nominations:

I also posted this to a variety of relevant (community/news-related) Ubuntu mailing lists. Unfortunately, I got flat out rejected by ubuntu-announce. Is that something you could help with @vorlon?

3 Likes

@wxl posting to ubuntu-announce requires a specific header. However, the audience for ubuntu-announce is quite loosely connected to Ubuntu as a community, and I don’t think you would get any good nominations from that list that you wouldn’t already get from posting to other lists. Do you want to post this to ubuntu-devel-announce instead?

Well, the description for the list makes it seem pretty vague (essentially “announcements related to Ubuntu”), so I figured it would be more appropriate. ubuntu-devel-announce, being specific to developers, seems like it wouldn’t be.

Right but if you look at the history of posts, it’s basically just announcements of new Ubuntu releases and their end-of-life. So if you are getting your information about the Ubuntu release cycle via that mailing list, you’re…probably not a good candidate for the CC?

I certainly see what you’re saying and for my purposes, I’ll just consider it irrelevant. However, it may be good for other folks for the description of the list to more clearly define what it’s about.

2 Likes

My offer to post this to the Fridge still stands :slight_smile: (though we might want IS to force https)

Ugh I forgot about that, despite your previous reminder. I thought I had access and was going to check that and must have got distracted. Rather than try to figure that all out, I’ll take you up on your offer. Please post it up. And anywhere else you might like.

BTW the news hit ZDNet.

Out in The Fridge and The Planet as a consequence.

4 Likes

Just one other thing I would like to mention: I know that the status of some boards and councils have already or will degrade without intervention from the CC or Canonical IS (which will ultimately need authorization from the CC or Mark himself to act) before we have a new CC in place. Getting those boards and councils back up and running is going to be an important first task of the new CC.

Until then, my suggestion to these boards and councils: don’t be dismayed! You’ll be back up and running soon enough. I would encourage you all to continue your work as normal. Sure, there will be some things you won’t have the authority to execute, but keep track of those things and that will be part of our clean up work when we get the ball rolling again.

If someone with access (ahem @sabdfl) wants to be a dear and perhaps renew everyone on all councils and boards for about a month or two, that should cover us while we figure this all out.

5 Likes

When I requested an extention on the membership board, Canoical IS was very helpful via the “#canonical-sysadmin” channel (IRC). They will apparantly be extending the membership board by a month until a more permanent solution (IE CC is back) is ready. :+1:

5 Likes