Foundations Team Updates - Thursday 29 September 2022

Last week’s status can be found here: Foundations Team Updates - Thursday 22 September 2022

2 Likes
  • subiquity
    • PR: 1436 - fix issue around pass / fail reporting in integration tests
    • PR: 1437 - scrub the recent changes and propose 6 PRs for merge to the Kinetic stable branch.
    • PR: 1438 - revert the change to the generated filesystem object IDs, it’s not helping
    • start release notes for pending Subiquity stable release coinciding with Kinetic
  • curtin
    • MP: 430393 - fix a missing dependency for vmtests
    • MP: 430694 - fix several lints from the daily CI
  • klibc - cherry-pick fixes from upstream to address 2 build failures, uploaded but not yet accepted due to beta freeze
  • sponsor user-setup fix LP: #1990488 for @ogayot
  • bug triage
  • continue work on autoinstall-desktop
2 Likes
2 Likes

subiquity

• digging into partitioning/storage code within Subiquity
  • opened draft PR https://github.com/canonical/subiquity/pull/1433 - accept extended partition with size -1 in autoinstall. This is still work in progress as partitions with size: -1 do not determine their maximum size properly.

misc

• bug triage
2 Likes

ubuntu-image

Miscellaneous

• Resolved icu FTBFS in kinetic. In the Unapproved queue
  • Troubleshooting bug with snapd-preseed hanging
  • Prepared an SRU for livecd-rootfs to work around the above bug
  • ISO testing
2 Likes
2 Likes

ubuntu-release-upgrader

• Proposed fix for LP 1991096 “Upgrading Lubuntu and/or Kubuntu Jammy to Kinetic fails when using GUI”
  • Investigated LP 1964036 “Firefox icon missing from panel following Kubuntu upgrade 20.04->22.04”
    • While it is true that u-r-u should drop it’s firefox entry in deb2snap.json, it does not appear that this is actually the cause of the missing dock icon. Testing upgrades without this entry still resulted in a missing icon, suggesting it’s an issue with the firefox deb.

Other

• Created KineticUpgrades wiki page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KineticUpgrades)
  • Investigated LP 1989596 “Completing Copying of Logs stage takes a very long time”
    • This turned out to be a side effect of a systemd bug that was fixed in the latest upload (LP 1990278). The fact that systemd-resolved was not included in the bootstrap changed the impact of lb_chroot_resolv, and meant that the build environment’s /etc/resolv.conf was being left in the chroot and final squashfs.
  • Meeting with @bdrung about systemd-coredump and apport
  • Fixed LP 1990578 “FTBFS due to syntax error in test.sh” (socat)
  • Fixed LP 1990562 “attempting to diff static library files raises UnicodeDecodeError”
    • This resolves the numpy FTBFS from the archive test rebuild.
2 Likes

This week I am on +1 maintenance.

python-exchangelib

python-fluids

• Autopkgtests failed.
  • Graham synced python-fluids 1.0.22-1 (universe) from Debian sid (main) (LP: #1990962)

vectorscan

• vectorscan does not build on amd64
    This seems to be due to warnings for the implementation of vectors in libboost.
    We have not updated libboost since 2 years. We should have a look at it after the Kinetic release.

python-typing-inspect

• Autopgktests failed for python-marshmallow-dataclass with python-typing-inspect 0.8.0-1
    python-marshmallow-dataclass package
  • Added upstream patches (LP: 1991064)

nbconvert

• Fixed autopkgtest failure due to incorrect regular expression (LP: #1991104)

gemmi

• Fix autopkgtest failures due to mathematical accuracy by suppressing unreliable tests on non-amd64.
    (LP: #1991116)

zookeeper

• zookeeper leads to autopkg issues for package patroni. This was resolved in Debian’s zookeeper (3.8.0-4).
  • Applied remaining Ubuntu changes to Debian’s version 3.8.0-8 (LP: #1990151)

Thanks to Graham (@ginggs) for sponsoring and discussions.

2 Likes
  • Finished revising Hyperpixel post after getting Qt working at the console
  • Working on RPi.GPIO->lgpio shim
  • Prepped a bump for rpi-imager (LP: #1990983); can that be added to my PPU?
  • Investigated video acceleration for Core 22
  • ISO testing for the Kinetic Beta
  • Ran across an issue with sound on the server images (LP: #1991254)
  • and an issue with cloud-init setting the hostname too late (LP: #1991261)
  • and a potential issue in Bluetooth on server (but proving tricky to replicate)
  • Firefox meeting
  • Pi meetings
2 Likes

Distro

• Foundation bug triaging
  • audacity: Uploaded audacity 3.2.0+dfsg-1 to Debian unstable and filed a FFe request: bug #1991252
  • lame: Uploaded lame 3.100-5 and 3.100-6 for adding a lame.pc pkg-config file
  • apport: Triage bug #1991200

N+1

I spent most of my time on building/testing audacity 3.1.3/3.2.0 and fighting against multiple issues. See https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2022-September/042319.html for detail.

Other

I spent some time to refresh upstream merge requests and doing bug triage. I forgot to document some stuff that I did.

2 Likes
2 Likes
  • Fixed apt phasing/solver bugs. Still not optimal but better :smiley:
  • New bug came in too where dependencies of phased packages are installed but phased package is kept back. That’s always happened before in update-manager due to how the algorithm is implemented.
  • Wrote some slides
3 Likes