Foundations Team Updates - Thursday 2024/09/05

autopkgtest-cloud

• Continuing work on migrating from mojo to terraform - nearly there! I’ve fixed all of the bugs in our charms as far as I can tell, the only issue now is the juju storage not being mounted. I’m liaising with the Terraform Juju Provider team to remedy the issue
  • Fixed an issue in prod with our lxd remotes
  • Reviewing an MP for @uralt

upgrade-testing

• Jammy to noble manual upgrade testing

+1 maintenance

• Proposed a patch for pylint to allow 3.2.6-1 (ubuntu1) to build and also fixes the packages autopkgtests, which will stop pylint blocking setuptools from migrating

iso testing

• Prospectively looking into hardware testing for server images for next cycle

release work

• Removing fixed bugs from the jammy release notes
  • Pinging various teams for jammy point release testing

misc

1 Like
1 Like

TCK

• TCK certification of openjdk-17 and openjdk-21 Q3 2024 updates on ppc64el and s390x completed
  • Started working on internal TCK-documentation

OpenSSL Java FIPS provider

• Evaluated thread-safety contracts of the implemented SPI classes. Only SecureRandomSPI is expected to be thread-safe. Added a PR.

CRaC

GraalVM

• There’s a change in the plan. We now seek to prototype deb packages for graal, instead of snaps.
  • I began with prototyping the creation of Graal builder-images as additional binaries created from Ubuntu’s openjdk-23 package.

Distro

Misc

• Created content for the “How we did TCK using Eclipse AQAvit” planned for OCX, Germany
  • Adoptium Working group meeting
  • Mentoring meeting
1 Like

Distro

Misc

• A bunch of meetings
  • More reading and discussions on post-quantum cryptography
1 Like

subiquity / curtin

distro

1 Like

out 1 day

1 Like

.NET

Documentation

Misc

• completed security training
  • 360-review & promotion preparation
1 Like

Short week with public holiday

• +1 maintenance
  • Fixing systemd autopkgtest bug
  • Conducted a few interviews
1 Like

This report contains all work between my last report and today. That includes work from last month before I went to vacation and got sick.

Distro

Apport

proposed migration

• dracut: Uploaded 103-1ubuntu2 to fix failing autopkgtest
  • mailman-hyperkitty 1.2.1-2ubuntu1: autopkgtest: Call nose directly instead of setup.py test. Forwarded patch to Debian.
  • python-mpegdash 0.3.1-3: autopkgtest: Call unittest directly instead of ‘setup.py test’ (Closes: #1079764)

Training day

I continued learning Rust by working on 3cpio. I learned how to split the code into modules and how the abstraction works.

1 Like

dotnet

• Attended the weekly .NET partners sync meeting.
  • Verified the .NET 8 SRU enabling ppc64el on Noble (LP: #2075185).
  • Helped investigate issues snapping a .NET application for the Saas Engineering team (see repo).
  • Finished implementing the .NET Installer list command output and install mechanism.
  • Fixed a bug found in the .NET Installer during testing that occurs when installing a component higher in the dependency tree when a lower component is already installed, e.g. installing the ASP.NET Core Runtime when the .NET Runtime is already installed.

distro

• Quickly investigated setuptools vs tryton-proteus proposed migration, but new sync from Debian fixed the regressions.
1 Like

Go

• @vpa1977 helps doing NCR for packages in main with golang-1.23. The package list is short, only includes ubuntu-report, zsys.

Distro

• still working on the nbd autopkgtest. Tried several hacks in my PPA, but the autopkgtest is still failing.
  • setuptools vs tryton-client proposed-migration: already fixed in Debian and synced to oracular.

Msic

• Review merge proposal for kxd, from Anshul.
  • Preparing 360 review
1 Like
  • zdev, initramfs and systemd fun. Thanks @enr0n for the quick review!
  • Gotten lost in a maze of makefile rules in glibc. Still haven’t found the exit.
  • s390-tools FTBFS fix
  • Some Greenhouse work.
1 Like

Rust

Distro

• Continued with helping Ruby 3.3 transition
    • ruby-nokogiri cluster
    • ruby-rgen
    • ruby-ahoy-email
    • ruby-mimemagic
    • ruby-jsonpath
1 Like
1 Like

General

• short week due to illness
  • +1 maintenance ongoing
1 Like

Slightly shorter week with a half day Friday and a holiday on Monday:

Subiquity

• Investigated issues with the PK country mirror and opened a ticket for it.
  • Experimenting with kernel related autoinstall configurations.
  • Spec writing related to the above.
  • Bug triage, code review.

Other

• Preparing my core dev application!
1 Like
  • Provided some hints on custom ubuntu-image builds to the RISC-V team
  • More work on the py3clean issue (LP: #2075337)
    • Whole pile of uploads to noble for SRU
    • And a bunch more to oracular for things like py312 compatibility in oracular
    • Too many to list here, see the linked bug for details
    • Many thanks to @mfo for the SRU reviews
  • Worked on bumping rpi-eeprom, but…
  • Worked on packaging raspi-utils, now required by rpi-eeprom (LP: #2046250)
  • Working on FTBFS of u-boot on oracular (ppa:waveform/u-boot)
    • Added linker script patches to remove .note. sections
    • Still figuring out the binman failure on RISC-V…
  • Working on fixing the missing zero-2-w.dtb issue on jammy, affecting noble upgrades (LP: #2078525)
    • Found workaround (see comment 4) but…
    • The fix may have to be in jammy and noble given it’s also affecting upgraders running the noble variant of flash-kernel, and…
    • The fix potentially has to deal with zero-2.dtb not existing in future (unless the kernel team are planning to keep a redundant copy lying around)
    • Also tagged a pile of duplicates of this bug
  • Proposed migration
    • ros2-colcon-core – just needed retry after sync of new version
  • Hardware compatibility testing
1 Like

Go

• Worked on backporting patches for kxd from the upstream to fix the failing builds and got my fuse fixes merged.

Distro

• Worked on setuptools-isodate proposed migration.
  • Currently also working on fixing the failing tests due to Ruby bindings on the notmuch package.

Training day

• Continued exploring ZK cryptography, currently studying audit reports and some common vulnerabilities.
2 Likes

Chiselled containers:

Documentation:

Distro:

• setuptools vs supervisor (synced package)

Sponsoring/Reviews:

1 Like

autopkgtest

• Continued work on getting lxc tests to pass for ppc64 and s390x.

autopkgtest-cloud

• Merged in two small MPs (1, 2) fixing some issues introduced by the new UUID page.

Misc

• Merged in a tiny MP for ubuntu-cdimage to fix some pre-commit issues.
  • Another tiny MP merged into firewall rules.
  • Working on adding linting to the qa-jenkins-jobs repository (open MP), reviewed by @andersson123
  • Did some +1 maintanence on the guessit package
1 Like