Foundations Team Updates - Thursday 2024/04/25

Previous status: Foundations Team Updates - Thursday 2024/04/18
Next status: Foundations Team Updates - Thursday 2024/05/02

2 Likes

Imagecraft

• Setup TICS analysis in CI
    • Done. I am still discussing with TIOBE ways to tweak the configuration to get a more accurate report.
  • Setting up the auto-build and auto-publish of the snap
  • PR # 27 - Sync imagecraft with current imagecraft.yaml proposition
    • Merged
  • PR # 23 - Use “standard” package-repositories key in imagecraft.yaml
    • In review
  • Discussed the Platforms spec with Fred Lotter to compare our understandings of the fields in this stanza.

ubuntu-image

• Promoted 3.4 and then 3.4+snap1 to latest/stable (following a quick fix to rework the content of ubuntu.sources, see #219)
  • PR # 217 - Improve validation and robustness around volumes management declared in gadget.yaml
    • Issue found in the TIOBE report. The fix follows the investigation regarding gadget.yaml “capabilities” and usages across various teams.
    • In review
  • PR # 218 - Update snapd dependency due to a breaking change in gadget.NewMountedFilesystemWriter() signature
    • Merged
    • Another PR on snapd also requiring another u-i release landed today. Waiting for the auto-rebuild in the snapd CI running tonight to see if this is necessary.
  • Backlog grooming

Misc.

• Administrative stuff to manage future absences
  • 24.10 Roadmap preparation
2 Likes
2 Likes

General

• limited availability overall this week due to some health stuff / appointments

Release

• driving release-critical package reviews/accepts/migrations
  • helping with selective candidate image respins as needed

Archive

• clearing NBS, uninst, outdate, priority-mismatches for release
  • some last-minute re-confirmation that all xz-utils-tainted binaries were cleared from noble after an anomaly was identified; we are in the clear
2 Likes

Distro

Netplan

Misc

• hiring
  • pulse planning
  • 24.10 roadmap planning
  • travel planning/booking (DebConf)
2 Likes

Rust

• Currently drafting a spec for an upcoming container-related project

Distro

Proposed fixes for the following packages

2 Likes

Netplan

• Moved forward with the parser flags work. It seems to be safe and working well PR#412
  • Documentation review PR#458
  • Code review for a contributions from the community PR#461
  • Fixed a crash that happens when gateway4/gateway6 are redefined PR#460
  • Fixed a small issue in the Python code PR#464
  • Lots of testing related to the new networkd-wait-online strategy. Found a problem with the Noble Desktop image for LXD and reported it here #13387. As the image enables networkd by default, wait-online is getting stuck (twice) during boot.

Distro

• Tested the new ISOs and upgrades from Jammy and Mantic to Noble.
2 Likes

General

• Pre-releases ISO testing on various odd hardware
  • 24.10 planning

Boot

• Found release blocking bug LP: #2063354
    • Calamares based flavours were not setting grub-{efi,pc}/install_devices at install times, resulting in confusing debconf prompts
    • Assisted Lubuntu developers in fixing it, huge thanks to Simon Quigley for quickly implementing support for this
  • Long time spent debugging LP: #2060624
    • os-prober entries were “magically” not present in some certain specific no-reformat dual boot installations
    • it really is an epic tail, detailed explanation on the LP page

Misc

• Organised boot related meetings for Canonical engineering sprint
4 Likes
  • Proposed migration:
  • Resolved mtd-utils situation after discussion with @mwhudson, providing confidence the issue was purely limited to the test suite (LP: #2061990)
  • Image testing
  • Found LP: #2060300 can also occur on the Zero 2W; updated gadget appropriately (sorry, release team!)
  • More image testing
  • Filed a bug regarding HDMI audio on the server images (LP: #2063255)
  • Updated release notes (several times)
  • A little more image testing
  • Updated WPA3 bug with some more info (LP: #2060920)
  • Updated libcamera bug with bad news (LP: #2038669)
  • Did I mention the image testing?
3 Likes

Subiquity

• Preparing release notes
  • ISO testing and bug triage
  • Contemplating the smoothest way we can add options to kvm-test so I don’t have to manually set up the various netboot + raid test cases in the ISO tracker every time
  • Filed LP: #2062988 - netbooting the Desktop ISO (and only Desktop) causes Subiquity to crash due to an outdated cloud-init version on the snap + some poor handling in Subiquity
  • Spent a lot of time time chasing down what I thought was a ZFS + Kernel bug (LP: #2062930), but it turns out I had more bugs in my fake ubuntu-drivers work :sweat_smile:
  • Investigated if minimal steps was disabled in u-u during install after complaints of being slow. It is! Lots of things going on in archive makes it slow still though.
  • 24.10 planning

Distro

• proposed-migration: man-db/2.12.0-4build2 vs dgit/11.6
  • Confirmed the OSSMirror mirror is in sync and I could perform an install with it
3 Likes