Foundations Team Updates - Thursday 2024/04/18

Discourse was down last week and I never went and pasted my status there after the fact, so here’s two weeks worth of status report:

Subiquity

• LP: #2060547 - An expected autoinstall failure case will still allow the installer to progress significantly and then abruptly hang, which obscures the previously emitted error message. A terrible UX problem. I have opened PR: #1965 to address the issue but since the fix for this is a little involved, we are going to wait until after release to avoid potentially introducing more severe regressions in user creation.

• LP: #2060353- I investigated a bug that causes the installer to hang when installing nvidia-driver-550. Initially I was unable to reproduce the bug, but it turns out that was a separate (weird and interesting) problem with my test package. I opened PR #1969 (draft) which would solve the solution in the short term if needed, but this will naturally be taken care of as we move towards supporting MOK enrollment.

• PR: #1964 - Adds a pre-commit hook to Subiquity to check documentation spelling. I consistently forgot to do this and had to wait for CI to yell at me, so I decided to quickly write this up. Thanks @dbungert for later improvements.

• Defining some improvements we want to make to Subiquity’s documentation (more tutorials please and thank you @rkratky )

• Drafting release notes

• Subiquity bug triage this week, with an increased focus this week to keep on top of bugs before the RC build

• LP: #2062085 - I opened a bug to track a known issue where Subiquity will happily let you put /boot on a FAT-based filesystem but crashes when configuring the kernel since FAT doesn’t support symlinks.

• LP: #2061042 - I opened this bug to track an issue where a particular autoinstall configuration for installing reset partitions can crash the installer. Draft PR: #1972 opened to fix the problem, but since it’s not critical I am deferring the fix until after the release.

Distro

• I was on +1 maintenance the week of April 2nd, where I focused on xz-utils related efforts. I also spent some time tacking down reasons for desktop meta-package install-ability issues. You can read my report here. I had some follow up last week on related bugs I opened, thank you @kanashiro and @ginggs for the sponsorship!

• After receiving multiple private bug reports of failed online installs due to a particular out-of-sync mirror, I reached out to them and they are currently working on updating their mirror.

1 Like
  • libheif MIR - uploaded updated libgd2 and libheif

• Distro:

• fixed ftbfs for ncrack, sniffit
  • openjdk

• pinged Debian update vendoring jtreg7 dependencies
    • prepared visualvm update for Java 21, 22
    • preparing autopkgtest for libpcsclite initialization.
1 Like