Last week’s update is available at https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/foundation-team-updates-thursday-16-june-2022/
- Initial specification for deb822 sources by default (to be published on Discourse)
- Discussion with @cjwatson about preserving previous SRU while new one is phasing (LP#1929082)
- Worked out a workaround and plan for how to deal with phased updates regression (LP#1979244)
- Did some specification for phased updates groups
- Early stab at backporting patches to Debian’s 2.04
- Investigating various failures to detect ESPs in grub-multi-install (Merge #425279)
- PR: 1320 - fix a unit test that was dependent on the actual list of user groups in the running environment
- PR: 1323 - finish up work on a ‘use_gap’ autoinstall directive that allows for installing into an existing gap when doing guided partitioning, similar to d-i ‘biggest_free’.
- Did a set of 20 VM tests as part of use_gap, found some interesting bugs.
- PR: 1326 - fix issue on BIOS when using ‘use_gap’ and there is a small disk present. Can happen when using cloud-localds to seed the autoinstall.
- PR: 1327 - improve the allocated number assigned to partitions. When mixing preserved and non-preserved partitions, it was possible that there would be a number overlap. Will need further work for msdos partition tables.
- PR: 1328 - improve guided unit tests to cover LVM
- PR: 1329 - fix a bug in handling of the location of the autoinstall file.
- PR: 1332 - logging to help debug of recent guided mode work
- PR: 1333 - merge below probert change
- Specification work
- Review PR: 1321, 1322, 1324, 1325, 1330, 1331
- Preparing next release
- sponsored jigit (MIR requirement) for @alexghiti, https://pad.lv/1978286
- systemd-networkd-wait-online email thread
- MIR review: python-charset-normalizer, https://pad.lv/1977475
- dhclient apparmor, fix + SRU + verification, https://pad.lv/1918410
- sponsored nezha-boot0 + SRU for @alexghiti, https://pad.lv/1965260 https://pad.lv/1979315
- some bug triage
- zram-config vs systemd-oomd compat, https://pad.lv/1978738 (cc @enr0n)
- systemd-cryptenroll FDE email thread
- lerc MIR: discussion & investigation about C++ symbols tracking, https://pad.lv/1977551
- InfiniBand (IPoIB) fixes, PR#283
- VRF/VXLAN spec comments, final sign-off received
- website/documentation discussions with the web team, https://discourse.ubuntu.com/c/netplan-docs/109
- testing a fix for NM default renderer in UC22, https://pad.lv/1979277
netplan statusspec comments & improvements, asking for UX approval
- discussions wrt Desktop integration, MP#424017
- SRU flash-kernel: @waveform sponsored
- BT update: as we can’t trace the origin of the firmware and then can’t have updates easily, we’ll ship the firmware and the software in the RISC-V PPA.
- kernel packages tests
- Fix nezha-boot0 and re-uploaded by @slyon
- kernel packages tests
- Fix Nezha and VisionFive since I had a real kernel package, PR updated
- Built images for both boards successfully
- Fix libisoburn testsuite: uploaded by @vorlon
- Add symbols file to libburn, libisoburn, libisofs
-> MIRs requested TODOs should be ok!
MOTU application preparation
- Opened upstream PR to honor
ManagedOOMPreferencefor all cgroups: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/23764
- Tested these patches out in Jammy, and got a feel for the integration worked required
- Met with @slyon and @vorlon to give updates on systemd-oomd and discuss next steps
- Have been running
-.sliceon my machine to test the (likely) SRU fix for systemd-oomd on Jammy, and had a script monitor my mem and swap usage and log when the
SwapUsedLimitthreshold was reached
- I will send out a message on ubuntu-devel with updates later today
- Opened upstream PR to honor
- Opened v251 merge PR for @slyon to do some early review: https://code.launchpad.net/~enr0n/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+git/systemd/+merge/425171
- Worked on autopkgtest for v251
- I think I have a fix for flaky upstream-1 and upstream-2 tests
- Opened upstream issue about linker warnings building on ARM: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/23789
- See also LP 1979236
- Opened LP 1979215 for gnu-efi (causes systemd FTBFS), which is another regression caused by linker warnings added in recent binutils
- Updates to the germinate PR per ongoing discussion
- improving bootstrap/create-chroot step
- implement installing packages into chroot on a separate branch
- Experiment with test parallelization as the test suite gets longer
- Promote 2.x snap to stable
- Created pull request to revert to
<snap_name> <revision>manifest syntax from version 1.x
- updating gsasl MIR now that it has a new major version.
- Re-triggering gsasl autopkgtests after some arm flakiness
- working on vim FTBFS
- Have a version building successfully on all architectures, but it still has failing autopkgtests
- Working on Unicorn Hat blog post with @waveform. Should be posted very soon
- Reviewed the InfiniBand support PR
- Cherry-picked some commits from Debian in src:cargo to enable autopkgtests
- Ongoing work to regenerate a vendor tarball without the C source for libgit2
- Dotted Is and crossed Ts on the various SRUs that were pending
- Ongoing work to merge openssl 3.0.4-1
- I had a look into phased upgrades as it caused a few breakage when combined with the openssl SRU
- Cursory investigation into the unregisterized status of GHC on s390x
- Uploaded Impish and Focal SRUs for s390-tools on behalf of @fheimes
- opened PR 1331 with Ubuntu Pro screen changes to reflect new mockups (does not include Ubuntu One / magic-attach). Thanks @dbungert for your prompt feedback!
- still working on Ubuntu Pro with magic-attach (spec work + implementation of screens).
- replaced used of deprecated construct used in API tests: PR 1330
- relaxed the way overlays/popups can be closed: PR 1324
- discussed the spec work for copying network-manager connections from desktop installer to target system. A more generic approach is favored.
- currently investigating unattended-upgrades autopkgtest failure in focal-updates to unblock an SRU: LP: #1974223
- Another short week - was off most of last week (+ a bit of a cat emergency on Tuesday)
- SRU reviews and releases
- NEW reviews
- Some FDE discussions
- Backlog review with the team
- Preparation tasks for 22.04.1
- Created first kinetic language-packs. Had some issues getting those done due to issues after the instance move. But now working and enabled building weekly
- Promoted multiple OEM metapackages to main, reviewed a few new ones
- Preparing 1:1 meetings with people from my squad
- Browsing through the current board, gathering context about how things are moving forward
netplan statusspecification, preparing for a re-review after comments were addressed by Lukas
- Discussions regarding some NetworkManager <-> netplan desktop integration, prepared Jira card for some investigation work
ubuntu-cdimage and images
- Fixed multiple failing unit tests - some of which were related to our simplestreams support
- Investigated possible issues with generation of simplestreams for release trees. Will keep an eye out for issues there in the future, as I still suspect some race conditions
- Created new test desktop images for Intel IOTG. Still working on the server images, making sure that the right kernel is pulled in
- Copied some Xilinx images for Alex
- Reviewed Michael’s netboot ubuntu-cdimage changes - merged those but followed up with some unit-test fixes (as we now had a relatively ‘good’ unit testing story).
- Added core22 to automated promotion
- Investigated issues with auto-promotion failing due to Trello API changes. pytrello wasn’t really updated, so worked-around that by using a fixed pytrello locally.
- Ubuntu Core 22 released last week \o/
- Added some comments on the germinate step of the new-world ubuntu-image classic build PR. Looked at the code but will be re-looking at it shortly again.
- Reviewed PR from William for fixing the snap/seed manifest formatting
- uploaded python-distutils-extra 2.47 to sort files in POTFILES.in (for stable .pot files)
- wrote question about setuptools migration https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/discussions/3382
- Reported bug against pytest-cov and forwarded upstream: https://launchpad.net/bugs/1979640
Fixed several bugs in apport:
- attach_journal_errors is causing a ValueError crash (LP: #1978487)
- Broken contact URL in German translation (LP: #1978301)
- /usr/share/apport/apport:AttributeError:/usr/share/apport/apport@531:parse_arguments:print_usage:_print_message (LP: #1979211)
- apport_python_hook: FileNotFoundError if cwd was deleted (LP: #1979637)
- apport_python_hook: Crashes if os.getcwd() throws FileNotFoundError (LP: #1977954)
I will prepare a new upstream release soon (which will be uploaded to kinetic). Then I will prepare the SRUs (with all those fixes).
- synced rocksdb 7.2.2-5
- golang-github-komkom-toml: tested upstream fix https://github.com/komkom/toml/issues/6, uploaded 0.0~git20211215.3c8ee9d-2 with the upstream fix
- sent “+1 maintenance report” to ubuntu-devel