[feature request] Set default sound input/output

Alright - knowing this is not a support forum, this is not a support question :wink:

But to explain, I need to provide a bit of background: I have multiple Input/output sound devices. And upon boot, Ubuntu 18.04 picks the wrong one.

It would be awesome, if:

1. You could force Ubuntu to pick a default sound device, chosen by the user, except if the device is not present
  2. The desktop UI allowed for quick sound input/output selection (ā€œSound Switcher Indicatorā€ by Dmitry Kann works fine, with a few quirks, like it doesnā€™t always detect if the sound source changes or is removed)
9 Likes

Ah that would be awesome. Itā€™s on my top5 after fresh install, too! Absolutely mandatory!

3 Likes

Have a look here:
https://www.rastating.com/setting-default-audio-device-in-ubuntu-18-04/

2 Likes

I suggested similar enhancements back in 17.10 but we never got around to it. Now that you mention it, Iā€™ve moved the proposal to 18.10 for consideration: https://trello.com/c/aI3BX3ax

6 Likes

Thanks for putting this idea on trello!
Apart from the sound-input-out-switcher-extension there is the awesome no-title-bar-extension which is very essential if you come from unity7 (like many ubuntu users) and find it pretty familiar to have no double bar when your window is maximized.

2 Likes

Pulicoti: Thanks! Iā€™ll look into it

vanvugt: Awesome! I hope weā€™ll have that feature included at some point, it would make make things a whole lot easier.

1 Like

This seems like a very standard OS feature, Ubuntu is getting more friendly and robust than Windows / Mac, this should be prioritized!

It canā€™t be too complicated, the interface is already designed. I am a programmer, just tell me where the code is, and what to changeā€¦ :laughing:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/906/sound-output-device-chooser/

Works pretty flawless, could be worth an inclusion into 19.4

2 Likes

This wouldnā€™t help in case I seen last week - if HDMI Audio output appear/disappear (ThinkVision P27h 27 which get connected/disconnected to/from ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen) choosing is as default output not gonna help, as it output number and state will reset anyway when it disappear.

1 Like

What do you mean with ā€œwhen it appear/disappearā€?
I use HDMI to connect and also i have an external audio card but Iā€™m still able to switch them as default.

Under disappear I mean - when I disconnect ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen from ThinkVision P27h 27 HDMI audio output is no longer listed as available.
Under appear I mean - when I power-on laptop next time with connected display, internal audio adapter is again set as default, even if HDMI audio output was chosen as default output in previous session.

Thatā€™s not an issue, you just have to set the default output when connected, thatā€™s obvious isnā€™t it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Once and then it should switch to HDMI automatically, or I should do this every time manually?

I would still really love this in 2019 - itā€™s still a problem

The default changes on reboot so its not that obvious

How did you install it?

@theonejay, youā€™re possibly thinking of bug 1847570. Fix coming soon.