Ethernet intermittently drops with dock. (Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS, Targus DV1K-2K)

Hello everyone,

I’ve recently switched from a desktop setup, to a laptop/desktop setup. So I use a dock for connecting everything. The dock in particular is the universal Targus 2K (DV1K) which utilizes DisplayLink.

I have used this dock without really any major issues. However, every so often, I found the Ethernet connection associated with the dock just stops working. The internet just ceases, and it takes a few minutes for Ubuntu to notice. I have to unplug the USB 3.0 connector and plug it back in. Then all is good again. I’ve experienced it failing at random times it seems. A few times, back to back within 10 minutes of reinserting the dock’s USB. Other times, it can go for half of a day.

I was just curious if anyone was willing to help diagnose or solve this minor issue. If push comes to shove, I’ll use the laptop’s Ethernet for reliability. Maybe even as a fail over. But it sure would be nice to rely on the docks Ethernet. :pensive:

Thank you!

This looks like a technical support request.

This site is for the co-ordination of the Ubuntu project(s), and other non-support matters. For Ubuntu Support options, please have a look at https://community.ubuntu.com/t/finding-help/709

No. It is foremost asking if anyone has “been there or done that.” But if it turns out no, than onto DisplayLink, which I’m sure will go over … productively.