Desktop Team Updates - Monday 5th July 2021

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse .

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates - Monday 28th June 2021

3 Likes
5 Likes
  • WSL
    • Meeting with design team to rebrand the logos and icons
    • Automated image build:
      • Automated generation of the graphical assets.
      • Automated generation of the project files per release.
    • Defined release process of WSL images.
3 Likes
5 Likes
  • Worked on a small autopkgtest-cloud feature, retrying “unknown” results a bit instead of just failing.
    • This was quite hard to test, as I didn’t know how to make one of these failures happen on demand. I eventually found the right spot in runner/autopkgtest to hack.
    • While testing this, I found out that our s390x images in bos02 were broken so there was a bit of yak shaving to fix that.
  • Did some focal-backports reviews for an internal Canonical team.
  • Packaged glib and glib-networking updates. The tests for glib-networking on s390x are broken. Spent some time investigating that but eventually just ended up reporting upstream. I dunno why it doesn’t happen on Debian, will come back to it later.
  • Bit more work on the ESM spec mentioned last week and very briefly began another one for some workflow improvements we’d like to make in the desktop team.
3 Likes
  • did a git snapshot from plymouth, including support for a bgrt logo fallback
  • fixed the daily ISO promotion by updating unmkinitramfs script on the bionic machine to add zstd support until we have a proper SRU
  • updated network manager to the new stable serie
  • sponsoring
    • librsvg update from Olivier to Debian
    • reviewed and tested the livecd-rootfs changes from mwhudson needed to build server with multilayouts, ensure that the desktop canary was still building without regression
  • snaps
    • requests a system-files interface for thunderbird to access etc policies
    • updated thunderbird to 90.0b3
    • fixed epiphany not starting after the gnome platform update due an outdated libatk being included
    • debugged some gnome-3-38 snaps failing to build on missing libdbus symbol, turned out the so symlink was missing for the sdk, fixed the issue
    • updated epiphany to the 3.38 serie and to use core20
    • fixed quadrapassel failing store upload due to documentation symlinks
3 Likes

firefox24 firefox

chromium22 chromium

• updated beta to 92.0.4515.80
  • updated dev to 93.0.4557.4

snapcraft24 snaps

flutter24 Ubuntu Desktop Installer

package24 other

3 Likes
  • WSL
    • Meeting with design team to rebrand the logos and icons
    • Automated image build:
      • Automated generation of the graphical assets.
      • Automated generation of the project files per release.
    • Defined release process of WSL images.
3 Likes

Desktop themes and snaps:

• Investigated a number of theming issues that were brought up by Igor from the advocacy team. I posted an analysis to the Snapcraft forum, with some low hanging fruit that could improve the experience for many snaps.

snapd PRs:

• I reviewed Ian’s snapd PR #10427, which updates the cups interface to bind mount the CUPS socket from the slot side of the connection.
  • Updated snapd PR #9986 (implement a validator for polkit action files) in response to review comments from Marcus.
  • Responded to review comments on snapd PR #10173 (implement a polkit backend for use by snapd interfaces), and followed up with Samuele.
  • Worked on a snapd theme API access checker, which is not quite ready to propose for review.
5 Likes

(Afk for 1.5 days to take care of a sick kid)

• +1 maintenance: libpam-alreadyloggedin, libcamera, gauche-gtk, firewalld
  • community rebooters involvement
  • LO 7.2.0 snap build debugging
4 Likes

Focus on working on WSL API on subiquity with the feedback from the subiquity team.

2 Likes

GNOME 40

• More work in the ubuntu dock, fixing various bugs and improving trash and volumes integration
  • Added support org.gnome.Nautilus.FileOperations2 to to DING

Packaging

7 Likes
5 Likes