Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.
If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse.
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.
Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Update - Desktop Team Updates - Monday 28th October 2019
4 days week (Friday off)
- Add systemd socket activation in the daemon/client split. We still have the refresh and initial load to handle.
- Enable to have idling timeout in the daemon (which will gracefully stops if no more commands are requested since last idling and will reload on demand).
- Simplify even more what’s needed for each command and API implementation (most of the code is autogenerated)
- Add a complete command for on demand bash completion. This completion is based on the work (see last week) on cobra to have advanced shell completion (hidden commands completed once specified, help completion and in context completion) for both daemon and client.
- Handle man page, bash completion and README generation … The zsys README page is now automatically updated and less sad
- Add a fix to skip autopkgtests on non installable architecture.
- Fixing CI by switching to master go-cmp (Golang 1.14 reflection restriction)
- Reviewed and started to classify 20.04 possible target work (see board). To be confirmed after manager’s Vancouver product sprint.
- Reviewed and tested jibel’s installer branch for 20.04 installer design (dedicated advanced feature panel)
One day less as per the all saints day celebration
- window: Don’t use override redirect parent window workspace, fixes java apps crash [MR]
- x11-display: Don’t unset the X11 focused window after setting one, fixes the desktop icons hang and missing focus on close dialog [MR]
- clutter/actor: Unref the root node if set as child [MR, merged],
- window-props: Read WM_TRANSIENT_FOR for override-redirect windows [MR]
- Rebased and improved MR for replacing GObject wrappers [MR]
- Some upstream reviews
- Fingerprint research
Backport of snap policy module for PulseAudio LP: #1781428:
- I’ve updated the xenial and bionic backport merge requests, and have been testing some builds I uploaded here: https://launchpad.net/~jamesh/+archive/ubuntu/desktop-test/+packages
- jdstrand reported some problems with the policy module on xenial, which I am trying to reproduce. Once that is sorted out, I think the two backports should be ready to upload.
snapd fwupd interface:
PR #7454 has been merged, which adds an implicit
system:fwupd slot usable on classic systems. Use of the interface in published snaps requires a store assertion, as with the snap packaged fwupd (uefi-fw-tools).
- It should be available on the edge channel of
snapd session agent systemd control API:
PR #7238 received additional review, and now is just waiting on a final security review.
- Once this one and the client library (PR #7456) are merged, I should be able to update the user daemons PR to a state where it can be accepted. And once that’s out of the way, dbus activation should be unblocked.
Better snap support in xdg-desktop-portal:
- In the initial version of my PR, I exposed a new
snap internal portal-info sub-command. There was some concern about whether
snap internal was a good name to expose such commands under. After some discussion, it was decided to use
snap routine instead. PR #7589 now implements that suggestion. I need to chase up one more review to get this merged.
PR #7588 needs an update to match the
snap routine PR, and to be reviewed.