Desktop Team Updates - Monday 2nd May 2022

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse .

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates - Monday 25th April 2022

2 Likes
5 Likes

:deciduous_tree: Ubuntu 22.10 “Kinetic Kudu” development has begun. First major highlight is the GNOME 42 libadwaita apps have been synced from Debian.
:deciduous_tree: Cherry-picked an evolution-ews fix. With that fix, I am uploading gnome-contacts 42 to Debian Unstable/Ubuntu Kinetic
:deciduous_tree: GNOME 42.1 was released today so I’ve been doing lots of packaging for it both for Debian/Kinetic. Many of these updates will reach 22.04 too.
:deciduous_tree: Requested and received early promotion to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS for the gdm fix to allow Nvidia systems to use Wayland. Wayland should be the default for hybrid Nvidia systems. You’ll need to restart your computer after receiving the update. Also got early promotion for a save issue with the filechooser used by snaps and an issue with composing emails with Evolution on Wayland.
:deciduous_tree: Identified a fix to allow the new Extension Manager to show up for install in the Ubuntu Software app. This should be rolling out next week.
:deciduous_tree: Uploaded an evolution fix for a Debian issue caused by a libnss3 packaging change
:deciduous_tree: Begun work on the icu 71 transition.
:deciduous_tree: I will be attending a Canonical Induction Sprint next week

5 Likes
5 Likes

Desktop Installer

WSL Setup

Other

3 Likes
  • Returned from a great LAS 2022 in Italy this morning (see below)
  • cups-filters: No news at this front this week, was busy with LAS 2022.
  • CUPS: Put two points on CUPS 3.x up to discussion on the OpenPrinting mailing list, first, about filtering (answer from Mike Sweet), and second, about the new D-Bus printing interface in CUPS 3.x (answer from Mike Sweet).
  • Sandboxed/Distribution-Independent packaging: On the LAS 2022 in Rovereto, Italy discussed a lot about this subject with @hellsworth (mostly on the Thursday before the conference), Robert McQueen, and others, especially to have an alternative to the Snaps of CUPS and the Printer Applications, especially for Flatpak-based minimal/atomic OS base systems, and Robert suggested to create an official OCI container of CUPS, from OpenPrinting to be put onto the Docker Hub and run on the target system via docker or podman. Thanks a lot @hellsworth and Robert McQueen! After the event Robert posted on the Flatpak mailing list suggesting to use podman together with systemd generator Quadlet for the CUPS daemon to start automatically on boot.
  • Canon CR3 RAW support in Ubuntu: Got a nice link for how to obtain lens correction data by yourself, also with Linux, right from the article’s author.
  • Linux Application Summit 2022: Prepared my main talk about the New Architecture and my lightning talk about the revival of the Ubuntu Developer Summit. Helped on planning the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS release party and on setting up the venue. Update: We have YouTube links to the full LAS and our presentations now!! Video of day 1 and day 2. The virtual release party (Video) was an Ubuntu Office Hours episode with the Ubuntu/Canonical Gang of 6 (@hellsworth, @madhens, @bwyazel, @igorljubuncic, @frederik-f, and @till-kamppeter, and @local-optimum remotely) on the stage telling what got into 22.04 and what is planned on future releases. In addition to the New Architecture and the new GNOME Control Center Printer module I mentioned the systemd addition to WSL for Snap and Printer Applications to work and WSL “to make Windows just work”. Also got great applouse when presenting my lightning talk (Video) about the comeback of the Ubuntu Developer Summit (thanks @kenvandine for the original idea). On the next day gave my main talk about the New Architecture and GUI (Video). There was also a great hallway track (see above). And thanks @hellsworth, @bwyazel, and the rest of the organization team for this great event!
  • OpenPrinting: Posted a News Flash about LAS 2022.
  • Google Summer of Code 2022: Continued organization of the projects and mentor assignment and also continued mentoring the early starters (those who started on their projects even without GSoC not yet started).
  • Bugs.
3 Likes
  • Triaging of launchpad reports post LTS release
  • Started working on kinetic desktop merges
  • Joining the Canonical planning sprint
2 Likes

firefox24 firefox

thunderbird24 thunderbird

• 91.8.1 was published to all supported releases, except jammy because the updates pocket wasn’t open yet
  • created a new branch for kinetic, and uploaded 91.9.0-3

chromium22 chromium

• updated stable to 101.0.4951.41, tested and handed over to the security team for sponsoring
  • updating stable to 101.0.4951.54
  • updating beta to 102.0.5005.27
  • updating dev to 103.0.5028.0
5 Likes

WSL

Mostly bug fixing and research:

2 Likes