Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse .
Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates - Monday 10th May 2021
Ubuntu Core GDM Experiment:
- I made a number of improvements to the prototype image to make testing with additional snaps easier:
- Built a 6GB image rather than 4GB. The gadget snap reserves almost 2GB for the ESP and boot partitions, so space could get a bit tight after installing a number of desktop snaps.
- Updated the wrapper script that launches the confined desktop session to (a) set the
DISPLAY environment variable in the dbus and systemd activation environments, and (b) wait for gnome-shell to create its Xauthority file, and copy it to a location snapd’s
x11 plug will let snaps read.
- Provided a helper script that will create launcher .desktop files to launch snap applications via the
desktop-launch D-Bus interface.
- All combined, we were able to launch and use complex desktop apps like Chromium and LibreOffice from the confined desktop session (after installing them and connecting their
x11 plug from an unconfined shell).
- There’s still some work to snap apps communicating via Wayland working though.
- worked on improving testing of the polkit interface PRs, and ran into some trouble trying to write an in-tree test a test snap that talked to polkitd: it turns out
dbus-send is not expressive enough to encode the arguments to polkit’s D-Bus interface. After discussing it on IRC, I put together core20 PR #103 to add
libglib2.0-bin to the base snap to make the
gdbus tool available.
outside of work: