Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse .
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.
Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates - Monday 7th September 2020
snapd themes installation:
- The snap declarations for our test theme snaps were finally landed in the store. I verified that the interfaces automatically connect as expected. It ensures that when installing a new theme snap it can connect to all installed application snaps, and when installing a new application snap it will connect to all installed theme snaps.
- added a spread test to make sure snapd PR #9268 to show that the check and install APIs function. It still needs a review.
snapd connectivity check API
- I updated snapd PR #9132 to restrict access to the new
snapctl is-connected --pid feature to a few slot types, and marked it ready to review.
Ubuntu Core GDM spike:
- I managed to get the
gnome-initial-setup install experience mostly working. It creates the user with the chosen locale and keyboard layout. Things that don’t work are:
- The user is not an admin. UC’s extrausers system does not make it possible to add a new user to one of the groups defined in the base snap.
- The time zone is not set correctly, due to UC’s indirection of
- Put together a list of areas to improve the experience.