Desktop Team Updates - Monday 12th October 2020

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse.

We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates - Monday 5th October 2020

1 Like

:desktop_computer: Gnome Shell and friends:

:8ball: Other:

• Groovy iso testing.
  • Training.

:chart_with_downwards_trend: Bug tracking:

6 Likes
  • ADSys/GPO:
    • Fetch the right GPOs including ntSecurityDescriptor.
    • Parsing of binary registry files.
    • Initial project skeleton and design (and doc).
    • Start implementation of support for dconf settings.
  • Fixed crash in Ubiquity with AD in OEM mode.
5 Likes

ADsys

• Fetch the right GPOs including ntSecurityDescriptor.
  • Parsing of binary registry files.
  • Initial project skeleton and design (and doc).
  • Start implementation of support for dconf setting
  • Add CI

Misc:

• Reviewed and sponsored libgweather on focal
5 Likes
7 Likes
  • continued working on the GNOME 3.38.1 updates
  • joined roadmap meetings
  • updated the thunderbird snap to 78.3.2
  • continued and finished Canonical HR online training
  • reviewed the e.u.c top reports and tried to figure out why often 20.10 stacktraces are missing debug symbols, asked Brian if he could help there
  • got my byteam proposed migration improvements to indicate component mismatch issues and always display migrate-after information
  • refreshed the ubiquity translation template for the new active directory strings and emailed translators
  • debugged an issue with the snap-store which dropped Ubuntu software branding and deb support over night, turned out to be to the ubuntu track expiring and snapd fallbacking to stable which ships a different codebase. The store team fixed it for us now, thanks!
  • updated the nv-codec-headers packaging to not install files to /debian
  • some other desktop updates and syncs (libteam, libinput, pulseaudio)
6 Likes
  • Short week, returning from two weeks on holiday.
  • Ran some 20.10 ISO testing.
  • Following up on Flutter Linux bugs/MRs etc.
  • Email backlog.
5 Likes

Packaging stuff

GNOME Things

• Continued work on mutter for privacy screen
  • Some work on libfprint
  • Various gjs work:
    • Updated branch to support BigInt (for (u)int64 numbers)
    • Added support for skip in return and function arguments [MR]
    • Added support to use GValues as semi in/out parameters to get properties [MR]
5 Likes

thunderbird24 thunderbird

• updated thunderbird to 78.3.2 and enigmail to 2.2.4 in groovy
  • updated the focal SRU preparation to these minor updates

chromium22 chromium

package24 other

• GNOME updates
    • uploaded a tepl 5.0.0 fake sync while it was sitting in Debian’s NEW queue
    • librsvg 2.50.1 in Debian unstable and synced to groovy
    • shared-mime-info 2.0 in Debian unstable (and submitted an upstream MR)
5 Likes
4 Likes

Network Manager snap

• filled out test cases with steps and results but turns out I was missing one thing… so now I have to redo it. But we’re getting close to the netplan-nms-plugin test effort being completed.
  • Proposing changes to the nm snap to put in a configure hook to grab any user provided plugins [1] and got feedback on it in the meeting this morning
  • met with Ian Johnson about building custom UC20 images (so I can preseed network-manager) and testing a UC20 recovery mode issue.

Libreoffice

• 7.0.2~rc2-0ubuntu1 was approved by ricotz and uploaded an uploaded.
  • lzo compressed snap now available in --edge
  • on the gcc10 failure, i’m kind of stuck… the build is failing in running one of the tests. I marked this test as flaky but it still fails at the same point… but then writing this and looking for a link for you, i see that i might have flagged this in the wrong place… maybe there’s a way i can run dpkg-buildpackage without running the tests because every attempt to get the test to run in gdb didn’t work…

Snapcraft

• starting to think about solution to PYTHONPATH in gnome-3-28 and gnome-3-34 extensions because of this forum post and so opened a snapcraft pr to start a conversation.
3 Likes
  • PostScript Printer Application: Did most of the coding based on the hp-printer-app replacing the function code by the appropriate for PostScript with PPDs. Used the new functions of libppd for it. There were still some problems with implementation of job execution (getting the job IPP attributes). Created a Feature Request on PAPPL and Michael Sweet did some improvements.
  • cups-filters: Due to Final Freeze approaching did two upstream releases of cups-filters, 1.28.4 for the improvements on the driverless utility to have less time-consuming calls of ippfind, and 1.28.5 to fix a potential crasher bug in cups-browsed.
  • ipp-usb: ipp-usb made it finally into Ubuntu Main! So from Groovy on we get reliable IPP-over-USB! Thank you very much to the MIR and Security teams (ipp-usb MIR).
  • sane-airscan: Still waiting for the security team to verify the MIR for sane-airscan.
  • Linux Foundation Mentorship Program: Mentoring the two IPP Scan students (Client, Server).
  • Google Season of Docs 2020: Mentoring our technical writer, doing corrections.
  • OpenPrinting: Doubts about CUPS being abandoned by Apple and how will printing continue are subject of a thread in the Phoronix Forums. I answered on the third page of the thread. I also answered similar questions and concerns from @juliank, @jamesh, and @Laney on the #ubuntu-desktop Freenode IRC channel.
  • Bugs.
4 Likes