Desktop Team Updates - Monday 11th May 2020

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse.
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates - Monday 7th May 2020

• Ubuntu G serie
    • opened the fonts-teluguvijayam MIR from proposed-migration
    • debugged/fixed the gedit plugins properties tab translations missing, the launchpad libpeas template was wrong set
    • investigated snap-store failing to load banners and screenshot, turned out to be due to snap/gdb screwing configuration, reported the issue
    • upstreamed a Debian fix to properly enable IDN support in iputils
    • continued active post release bug triaging
  • SRUs
    • sponsored pulseaudio oem fix for a regression in jack support
    • SRUed a gnucash icon fix (failing to read by the new stricter librsvg)
    • some focal desktop SRU verifications
    • fixed lirc failing to install/start due to missing configuration
    • SRUed to bionic the software-properties workaround for password prompt fails
    • uploaded GTK 3.24.20 and SRUed to focal
  • Others
    • sponsored the adwaita icon theme update from Olivier
    • investigagted libreoffice’s documentation not working on focal
    • reviewed nautilus 3.37’s merge from Dmitry
3 Likes

:house: Housekeeping:

:desktop_computer: Gnome Shell and friends:

:chart_with_downwards_trend: Backlog tracking

5 Likes

Only 2 days of work, was off the rest of the week:

• Reread, fix typos and illustrates the first 4 blog post for ZSys.
  • Wrote draft of the 5th blog post on garbage collection.
  • Bug triaging on zfs* related issues.
  • Read and comment on the spec on ZFS encryption.

Snaps:

• Added gjs to gnome-3-34-1804{,-sdk}
  • Updated gnome-characters to gnome-3-34 extension
  • Tested updates to gnome-logs, gnome-system-monitor, gnome-calculator, and gnome-characters and used the new progressive release feature to release them to stable. All worked well and release was spread out of 18 hours.
  • Added common-id to more snaps

Snap Store:

• Backported fix for app icons for deb packages and seeded apt-config-icons in Groovy and Focal Bug 1864307
2 Likes

firefox24 firefox

• fixed armhf build failures on groovy and focal
  • 76.0 was officially released, handed over to security team who published it to all supported releases (xenial, bionic, eoan, focal)
  • prepared 76.0.1 update
  • filed a bug and assigned to the foundations team to request rustc and cargo updates for the upcoming firefox 78
  • updated unity-menubar.patch for firefox 77 beta

thunderbird24 thunderbird

• updating thunderbird to 68.8.0

chromium22 chromium

snapcraft24 snaps

• fixed the 0ad edge snap, which had been embarrassingly broken for 5 months

package24 other

• merged adwaita-icon-theme 3.36.1 from Debian into groovy, and prepared focal SRU
2 Likes

GNOME

• Mutter improvements to support rotation in 2-in-1 [MR]
  • Rebase and fixes in X11 scale computation branch [MR]
  • Rebase and fixes to the configuration manager refactorings [MR]
  • Added support to coverage reports to upstream mutter [MR, merged]
  • Some code fixes and cleanups to GJS [branch]
  • Leak fix on bolt g-c-c settings [MR]
  • Updates to the async fprintd initialization branch for g-c-c [MR]

Ubuntu desktop

• Ubuntu dock: sync with upstream fixes
  • Fixed bug causing fractional scaling not to be restored on reboot [DIFF]
  • Yaru: prepared a fix for dash-to-dock causing bug LP: #1873321 [DIFFS]
  • Prepared g-c-c patch for fixing dock location in RTL languages [DIFF]
  • Don’t use selectable flowbox in g-c-c fingerprint enrollment [MR]

FDO

• Looking at a Xorg issue causing unscaled pointer to be preserved
  • Follow-up with some merge reqeusts and reviews
  • Discussed with maintainers about libfprint/fprintd next steps

Packaging

• Uploaded 3.36.2 (+ patches updates) to Groovy and Focal:
  • Prepared a mutter bionic SRU with some upstream fixes
  • Prepared all the related SRU bugs
  • Prepared packaging for new mozjs68 point release
    • Tested building with SSE to fix test failures in i386 [MR]
4 Likes
  • Short week, was off 2 days
  • Some focal SRUs + groovy / Debian updates: at-spi2-atk, orca, gobject-introspection
  • Uploaded fix for bug #1843982 (autologin crash) to Debian / groovy / focal.
  • Started working on rebasing our copy of Britney on top of Debian’s, collecting upstreamable patches along the way.
  • ppc64el testing broke in both of our cloud regions that have the hardware to do this for different reasons, worked with sysadmins to try to get this fixed - still ongoing

snapd dbus activation support:

• snapd PR #5822 (support for user session daemons) was merged last week. This PR was started in September 2018, so I’m glad to see it merged. One thing that helped get it over the line was the snapd team’s recent work to improve the reliability of spread tests that test user session behaviour.
  • I’ve updated snapd PR #6258 (dbus activation) to fix conflicts after the merge of #5822. I’m currently updating it to require activatable dbus services be daemons, now that we have user session daemons. It still needs to go through code review, but I expect this should be an easier process than the last was.

snap theme auto-installation:

• Discussed plans for theme auto installation at the last snapd/desktop review meeting. The plan is still to follow the design outlined in the notes I posted previously. There was some concern about giving this service snapd-control access, so that might end up requiring some changes down the line. I think further discussion on that front will need to wait until I have a working prototype, so we can see what the minimal set of permissions needed by the service are.
  • There has also been some community interest in this feature on the forum over the weekend. This is my next priority after dbus activation, so hopefully I’ll have something to demonstrate shortly.

I also did some work on a fix for a security issue, getting it to the point where it could be handed off to the security team.

2 Likes
  • Snapcraft/CUPS Snap: Further work on the Snap: Now it uses the standard domain socket (/run/cups/cups.sock) and standard port (631) when it provides the only running CUPS on the system, upstream CUPS version is 2.3.3 containing the latest security fixes, Debian package patches for option/choice/attribute conversion between PPD and IPP and also for correctly working cupsctl are included, fonts.conf file for texttopdf filter corrected, and an unneeded patch removed.
  • PAPPL: Working with GSoC students and Michael Sweet on the next steps to be done, currently printer discovery and job handling.
  • HPLIP: Introduced developers at HP into the new Printer-Application-based printer/scanner driver architecture.
  • ippusbxd: Forwarded crasher bug to the upstream GitHub and got fix from the contributor of this piece of code.
  • Google Summer of Code 2020: Introduced most of the students into their projects, answered their questions, … Mentoring of the students has started.
  • OpenPrinting Summit and PWG Meeting (virtual event): Attended the conference from Tue to Fri and presented my OpenPrinting overview on Tue, the OpenPrinting day. Here is the complete agenda.
  • Bugs.

This should be in chromium 84, scheduled for release mid-July.

2 Likes