Desktop Team Update - Monday 30th September 2019

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse.
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Update - Monday 23rd September 2019
Next week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Update - Monday 7th October 2019

1 Like
1 Like
  • 19.10 Beta testing.
  • Fixed seed to add emoji.
  • Investigate automated upgrade test failure.
  • Looked how to fix boot when zsys is not installed.
  • Updated the design of Ubiquity to add zfs to guided partitioning.
  • Updated zfs in ubiquity MP following review.
  • Fixed “free software only” in the installer.

:desert_island: On vacation for the week.

:chart_with_downwards_trend: Backlogs progress

5 Likes

libreoffice24-margin libreoffice

• Prepared 6.3.2.2 (deb & snap) for release to Eoan this week.
  • Lots of synchronisation of bug statuses with upstream.

GNOME build/plaform-snap

• Updated our LP listener to rebuild the platform-snap upon the (fixed) build-snap ‘Uploaded’ event.
  • The listener now triggers platform-snap builds depending on the arch of the uploaded build-snap.
  • Introduced i386 build- and platform-snap releases.

:clipboard: other

• Applied for Ubuntu Contributing Developer and LibreOffice Per-Package Uploader.
1 Like
  • Distro patched gnome-shell-extension-impatience to work with gnome-shell 3.34 in eoan
  • Sponsoring:
    • flatpak in eoan and disco
    • ubuntu-wallpapers in eoan
  • Reviewed PRs for GNOME snaps from @hellsworth
1 Like
  • Zsys:
    • Looked at various options to mitigate the choice of having zfs without zsys for this cycle with our default layout.
    • Some grub fix to not show up history when using pure zfs or when having a zsys layout without zsys installed
    • Some zfs fix for handling empty cache file for generator on first reboot withotu zsys as we can’t easily fill it in, and found some upstream issues with our specific dataset and partition layout.
    • Proposed an upstream fix for a race mount without zsys: https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/9360.
    • Evaluate the impact of using -f for zpool import in the initramfs. We went for not doing it this cycle, as it shouldn’t be impactful and is a consequence of something else going badly. Graceful fallback should be considered next cycle though.
    • Update grubzfs-testsuite dep to prepare for next grub2 upload (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grubzfs-testsuite/0.4.1)
    • Helped slightly jibel on the ubiquity progress/issue debugging
  • Misc:
    • various sysadmin task
    • built a standing desk!
1 Like

I took Monday and Friday off. In the other 3 days I did the following:

5 Likes
2 Likes

thunderbird24 thunderbird

chromium22 chromium

• updated beta to 78.0.3904.34
  • updated dev to 79.0.3921.0

libreoffice24-margin libreoffice

• endorsed Marcus’s application for libreoffice PPU rights
  • sponsored Marcus’s upload of 1:6.3.2-0ubuntu1 to eoan

package24 other

2 Likes

GNOME

• Spent some time in debugging a X11 session hang caused by a race in shell/ibus [MR]
  • Mutter, don’t assert on getting workspaces during window unmanaging [MR]
  • Clutter: remove deprecated internal child [MR]
  • Reviewed gjs meson branch and proposed changes for meson and autotools to hide private symbols from the library [MR]
  • Updates to my gjs smarter gtype name computation [MR]
  • Updates to tracker proposal to handle tests better on missing libraries [MR, merged]
  • tracker: use native pkg-config meson generator [MR]
  • tracker: use meson suites in tests [MR]
  • Networkmanager: updates to the client GTask port [MR]

Packaging

• Updated tracker miners patch as per upstream pushed changes [MR]
2 Likes

I took the week after the Paris sprint as vacation, and yesterday was the Queen’s Birthday public holiday in Western Australia.

I received review comments on some of my snapd PRs while I was away. One got the final required approval, so PR #7197 (add exit on idle behaviour to the user session agent) has now been landed.

1 Like
  • short week, only worked 3 days
  • beta ISO testing, tried to debug the ubiquity failure but without much luck, thanks Laney for stepping up and figuring it out!
  • gstreamer 1.16.1 stable updates
  • desktp updates/syncs
  • looked at some proposed migrations issues and fixed a nbs rdepends
  • cups-filters: 1.25.6 has a crash bug (Upstream, Ubuntu) in the implicitclass backend (CUPS backend to distribute jobs in a cups-browsed-based printer cluster), introduced with a fix after 1.25.5. Worked with Deepak Patankar, the contributor of the recent clustering improvements, on a solution.
  • cups-filters: Fixed segfault and other bugs (which broke output for certain color spaces) in the new pdftoraster filter (Bug #1845286).
  • Printer Application Snaps: Continued thw work with the new Printer Applications Snap framework, found a bug and investigatimg its cause.
  • Linux Application Summit: Application for talk about Common Print Dialog Backends did not get accepted but put onto waitlist (But thanks, @hellsworth, anyway.).
  • Expense reports for trips to Lisbon and Paris.
  • Bugs.