Desktop Team Update - Monday 26th August 2019

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse.
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Update - Monday 19th August 2019
Next week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Update - Monday 2nd September 2019

:computer_mouse: Gnome Shell performance (stutter | latency | CPU):

:wrench: Other:

:bug: Release bugs:

:chart_with_downwards_trend: Backlogs progress

3 Likes
  • Some GUADEC
  • More GUADEC
  • Even more GUADEC
4 Likes
  • Customer projects
  • Adding zfs option to Ubiquity.
  • Been at GUADEC with some of the rest of the team
  • Before that I was working on GNOME 3.33
  • While here I worked on that a bit more, and we published the silo, so 3.33 is on its way to eoan now. There are some issues to work out in eoan-proposed, so it might be a little while yet before it gets to regular users and ISO images. Don’t be tempted to enable eoan-proposed to get it. Doing that is a very bad idea and you are likely to (deservedly) get little sympathy if you have done so. :slight_smile:
2 Likes
  • Eoan
    • updates: libjopeg-turbo, gnome-calculator, shotwell, gtk, gnome-bluetooth, tracker, webkit2gtk, libgdata, pygobject, colord-gtk, libgdata, eog, uminipnpc, iio-sensor-proxy, lbifprint, fprintd, gnome-logs, gnome-mahjongg, libsoup, yelp-xsl, epiphany-browser, libglu, xinit, xinput, libfontenc, libice, libndp, libpciaccess, libxau, libquvi, libxcomposite, libxdmcp, libxi, libxext, libxmu, libxrandr, libxvmc, libxkbfile, libxxf86dga, xauth, xcursor-themes,
    • sponsoring, colord, modemmanager, libreoffice, pulseaudio, gnome-initial-setuo, gnome-online-accounts
    • tested a fix from the yaru team, works \o/
  • GUADEC: conference and one hack day
  • Other
    • upstreamed most of the rygel MIR feedback and did an upload to lower a gst recommends to a suggest
    • worked on autopkgtests issues and current migration problems
    • SRUed cogl/i386 fixes
3 Likes

Short week (1 day):

• email catchup
  • answers on the hub and looking at various place for zfs feedback
  • client work doc catchup
1 Like

Mostly just being at GUADEC:

• many “hallway track” conversations with other GNOME devs.
  • I mentioned to Alex the problems I’d run into with the desktop notifications API of xdg-desktop-portal with snaps. This is mostly down to assumptions about package IDs being synonymous with desktop IDs. The fix is to provide xdg-desktop-portal with more information about snap applications, which I’ll be working on at some point.
  • I started work on a simple patch for GLib to have g_app_info_launch automatically export files via the document portal when it detects it has a desktop file belonging to a snap application. I created glib MR !1067, which is currently work in progress.
1 Like

firefox24 firefox

• foundations updated rustc to 1.36 and cargo to 0.37, and as a follow-up I filed bug #1841191 for broken firefox/thunderbird builds on eoan
  • started investigating whether firefox can be built without gcc, and at least on xenial (with clang 6.0) the answer is yes
  • spent some time trying to reproduce frequent autopkgtest failures on eoan/armhf, unsuccessfully

thunderbird24 thunderbird

• continued work on the next major update, 68.0 (expected beginning of September)

chromium22 chromium

• Laney reported that the chromium snap doesn’t start under Wayland with GNOME 3.33, I confirmed and filed a bug to track the issue, and submitted an interface update which got merged in snapd
  • updating stable to 76.0.3809.132
  • updated beta to 77.0.3865.42
  • updated dev to 78.0.3887.7

package24 other

• attended the main conference days of GUADEC in Thessaloniki, Greece
  • looked into updating seahorse to 3.32.2 in debian, but the tag is missing upstream
1 Like
2 Likes

libreoffice24-margin libreoffice

2 Likes
  • GUADEC

• Done a presentation on GNOME Shell state on fractional scaling [video / slides]
    • Lots of interesting (beer) discussions with upstream
    • Talked with GNOME design about some of our interests
  • Lot updates to the this.actor removal MR
    • Checked main extensions compatibility
    • Prepared branch for d2d
  • Updates to mutter-memory-fixes and asam branch, tests with fedora docker images
  • Prepared to move Shell from JS’s date to GLib.DateTime
  • Improved logging for GNOME shell using structured logging [MR]
  • Making GJS more robust to wrong GObject initializations [MR]
  • Improved GJS GType name computation for classes [MR]
  • Fix a critical warning on keyboard events under X11 [MR]
  • Tracker miners, fixed tests when disabling some components [MR]
  • Tests with ccache buolds in GNOME gitlab
3 Likes