Desktop Team Integration Squad Updates – Monday 19th February 2024

Hi everyone, below you will find updates from the Desktop team’s Integration squad from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse .

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Integration Squad Updates – Monday 12th February 2024

2 Likes
  • Packaged gnome-control-center 46 Beta for Debian Unstable and Ubuntu 24.04 LTS
  • This version updates the GNOME version in Settings > System > About > System Details to be gnome-control-center’s version rounded to the nearest whole number (in other words, 46)
  • This version also includes some tweaks to the wording on the Power page contributed by me
  • Identified that the new gnome-online-accounts triggers a disruptive transition. Will follow up on that more next week.

• Packaged nautilus 46 Beta. Did not upload to Debian Experimental because it requires glib from Experimental but glib in Experimental has renamed libraries in preparation for the 32-bit time transition and I felt uncomfortable depending on those renamed libraries now.
  • Packaged gvfs 1.53.90. Debian’s version includes a new feature to support discovery of newer Windows network shares. The feature does not work yet so I submitted a merge request to fix the wsdd Debian package.
  • Packaged msgraph which can be used with GNOME Online Accounts for Microsoft OneDrive integration into the file browser like is already possible with Google Drive. This is a new package so it needs to pass NEW review first.

• Packaged gnome-initial-setup 46 Beta (currently used for the Welcome to Ubuntu app) which correctly hides the minimize button
  • Miscellaneous other GNOME 46 packaging
  • Most of the GNOME updates are stuck in noble-proposed behind the ongoing Python 3.12 transition

• Renamed the binary package from snapshot to gnome-snapshot to match it source package name and our intent
  • Switched Ubuntu’s package to use the vendored source tarball as required for Rust packages in Ubuntu main to support our main inclusion request

• Sponsored Amin’s poppler 24.02 upload to Ubuntu so that this transition can proceed before Ubuntu Feature Freeze
  • Collaborated with Seb to fix libproxy 0.5’s autopkgtests
  • Worked with upstream to fix multiple gnome-keyring related tarball issues
  • My GNOME Kiosk merge requests were merged

• Announced the GNOME 44.9 release

Other News

• GNOME 46 Beta changes the default clock format for US English to 12 hour time. This can be switched in Settings > System > Date & Time > Time Format. The initial implementation was disruptive to every other language so Simon McVittie proposed a fix for that.
  • GNOME 46 also enables tap-to-click by default. Ubuntu has been doing that since 2009.
7 Likes
3 Likes