Desktop Team Integration Squad Updates – Monday 19th August 2024

Hi everyone, below you will find updates from the Desktop team’s Integration squad from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse .

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Integration Squad Updates – Monday 12th August 2024

2 Likes
  • Finally got gtk4 4.14 into Debian Testing just in time to work on packaging gtk4 4.15 for GNOME 47
  • Packaged GNOME 47 Beta for Ubuntu 24.10
    • Notably we got GNOME Shell and the new gtk4/libadwaita and most GNOME 47 apps out of oracular-proposed and into oracular itself before Feature Freeze today.
    • Some of GNOME 47 Beta was pushed to Debian Unstable. Many parts were pushed to Experimental instead because of architecture build issues (in particular, gtk4, libadwaita, mozjs128, and librsvg).
    • Began the Rust GTK4 0.9 (GNOME 47) transition in Ubuntu using Matthias Geiger’s packaging. We have more work to do in the coming days to finish this transition.

• The sysprof MIR was approved, allowing us to drop Ubuntu’s temporary revert of the Debian change to enable sysprof support in glib. This also allowed many desktop -dev packages to be repromoted to main since they had temporarily been demoted to universe because sysprof wasn’t in main yet
  • Turned on sysprof integration in gjs

• Split the Ubuntu on Xorg session to a separate binary package, ubuntu-session-xsession, installed by default to match what I had done previously in Debian with the gnome-session packages.
  • Tweaked the glade packaging so that we could stop building gjs and mozjs on i386
  • Did the upstream GNOME 45.9 release as part of my GNOME Release Team responsibilities

• Sponsored Zixing’s upload to make rust 1.80 the default rustc for Ubuntu 24.10
  • Pushed the new debhelper to Ubuntu 24.10 since it included a compat 14 change I had requested
  • Prepared some SRUs for Ubuntu 24.04.1: gnome-online-accounts and gsettings-desktop-schemas

• GNOME decided to keep the Cantarell font for GNOME 47 so I reverted the Debian changes I had made earlier. Since next year’s Debian Stable release will ship GNOME 47, it will keep Cantarell as the default GNOME font.
  • Requested permission to do the poppler 24.08 transition in Debian
  • Worked around an i386 specific build issue when packaging vte (only affects Debian since Ubuntu doesn’t build vte on i386)

• Many uploads. The time between GNOME Beta and Ubuntu Feature Freeze is the busiest part of the Ubuntu release cycle for me!
8 Likes
3 Likes