Default Bionic Wallpaper

How do you choose which wallpaper to use for Bionic Beaver ? Is there any option for normal users to submit entries ? Thanks.

There was some discussion on this site last either last week or the one before I believe, about the wallpaper category being open for submissions. I think @nhaines runs the wall paper contest.

1 Like

Thanks for the ping, @stephen-d-allen!

So the default wallpaper itself is designed by Canonical employees.

As for the other wallpapers, we let photographers submit their Creative Commons-licensed photos and illustrations and then we select the ones to include in the actual release from that pool. You can see the Ubuntu 17.10 Free Culture Showcase entries on Flickr.

We’ll be soliciting feedback on the process for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS very, very soon on the Community Hub.

3 Likes

Which wallpaper features in 18.04 daily builds ?

I made a concept wallpaper last day. It would be great to see it in Ubuntu

3 Likes

Nice wallpaper @meetdilip. You should certainly enter in to the wallpaper competition as soon as its opened.

3 Likes

Thanks @willcooke

I was working on integrating beaver into it. Here is the progress so far

2 Likes

Here’s the thread about the wallpaper comp:

3 Likes

Just got myself a variant with beaver included

Hi @nhaines

So the default wallpaper itself is designed by Canonical employees.

will canonical prepare a default wallpaper with communitheme in mind?

Canonical’s inspiration is traditionally a clean, crisp background with Ubuntu’s iconic orange and purple, and with origami lines. 17.10 saw a return of the mascot on the wallpaper, this time with Ubuntu’s circle inspiration combined with the origami styling. (And here’s something you didn’t know: every origami mascot design is inspired by a real origami pattern that they hired an origami expert to make of the series mascot.)

I doubt that the community theme will rely on a specific wallpaper, but we’ll have a wide variety of different wallpapers you can pick, from the official default wallpaper to the dozen community wallpapers by amazing photographers and illustrators chosen through the Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase.

2 Likes