Cursor Theme

While Yaru is a modern-looking theme, the default cursor theme lags a bit in the same time scale. Wondering whether there is a plan to give the cursor theme a facelift.

4 Likes

To keep the discussion going

2 Likes

Or maybe even
Group 107

4 Likes

Would be fun to know how the new Progress & Wait icons are going shape up :slight_smile:

busy

3 Likes

This is an interesting discussion! I’d like to see what some of the desktop and design folks think of giving the Yaru cursor theme a bit of a face-lift.

The simplistic arrow with bold outline kind of reminds me of the Breeze cursor theme that KDE uses.

3 Likes

Aesthetically, I really like this “convex delta” but it’s important for precision positioning to keep one edge purely vertical.

I’m a little concerned that these simple shapes without the “handle” are slightly less legible, but of course something as central to the UI as a pointer cursor must be super-optimized. I don’t have research handy but will search and perhaps we can perform some testing.

(Color can also be an accessibility concern, but I hope there’s a way to allow user selection, there.)

1 Like

Not sure whether a handle plays a role in the cursor than actually been there for a long time.

But that is certainly not a blocker. We can always choose white, black or an accent colour easily.

Personally, I have around 10 cursor themes that I made for myself and never left the PC. They are mostly visually wonderful than an UI element for all.

We can use light and dark variants as default

Helps a lot with accessibility, high contrast requirements and colour identification issues.

2 Likes

Perhaps think beyond 2D and try 3D

I sort of agree. From my point of view, handle-less cursors look better as a concept design than actually being used on your desktop. Cursors with handles are easier to use, and are less obtrusive and sort of blend in more.

Tried Linux Mint today. They have a handle-less pointer and a colourful busy icon for the default cursor.

Really? I don’t remember Linux Mint having a handle-less cursor theme. I’ll go take a look. Maybe it also depends on the color of the cursor, and the size?

It is almost the black version of what you have shared in this topic.

That’s interesting! I never realized that Linux mint replaced the DMZ black-like default cursor

Tried Ubuntu Kylin cursor themes through their repo. There was one that is blue and without a handle.

Windows got itself a colourful busy icon after all.

Personally, I love the DMZ-White cursor on Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 :slight_smile: