Current state of linux gaming {2024)

Made with Ubuntu in mind using 23.10 right now but waiting for 24.04 to rock on it for other tests.

This is a video testing 64 steam games on Ubuntu. Showcasing the current hardware support of Ubuntu along with performance of the distro. It is a testament to the effort that the whole linux community has done for the past 15 years I have been tracking it.

https://youtu.be/U6kfXFL4n5g

4 Likes

A really nice showcase, which tracks with my own experience on much more limited hardware (a low-end gaming laptop) - as someone who grew up in the 8-bit console era, the graphics on these games (even at the “medium” settings at which I run them) amaze me.

Out of curiosity - what was the software configuration involved here? You mentioned Steam, running Proton Experimental - was anything else done to a stock 23.10 installation to achieve these results?

Only additional change was mitigation=off as a kernel parameter and making sure 545 nvidia driver was installed. I tried to keep it without minimal custom changes.

1 Like

That’s where I think the power is - in most cases, it’s easy to use Ubuntu to set up a high-performing system, without having to delve into custom kernel patches from random GitHub repos, intricate custom configuration files, etc. Most of the rough edges that stem from the various upstream pieces themselves, and from the process of compiling them together into an operating system, have already been handled by the Ubuntu team.

3 Likes

Just a note here. For the past 3 months while using reddit, I have helped more users migrate to Ubuntu for gaming than in the past 2 years.

Most coming from arch, manjaro, fedora, endeavouros or nobara.

Using Ubuntu it just works. And with minimal effort you xan solve all common issues for gaming. Of course there are linux specific issues that are being tackled but for the love of linus, I have been able to create https://www.youtube.com/@xtremelinux ONLY on Ubuntu.

From hardware support, to performance, to ease of setting games up and more.

2 Likes

Yeah, ever since Proton became a thing, gaming on Ubuntu has become a breeze in my experience. Maybe it’s due to me having an AMD GPU (RX 5700XT), but pretty much everything in my Steam library either just works (with sufficient performance) or needs a few minutes of tweaking in order to make it run fast enough. Compared to my experience with gaming on a Mac, Linux is pretty much a console-level of user-friendliness nowadays.

Where specifically on reddit, we (and by that I might mean I), might have a lot to learn from you.

I have an AMD/Nvidia hybrid laptop and an Nvidia-only desktop - no issues on either. I think explicitly trying to support system configs with Nvidia graphics, as Ubuntu does, makes a big difference - I suspect much of the bad rap that the current state of Nvidia + Linux user experience gets is folks working on distros that either actively exclude directly supporting that setup for philosophical reasons (Fedora, Debian) or theoretically support it, but leave it up to the user to figure out (Arch).

And when I mean supporting, I mean actually including Nvidia drivers in the repositories, supporting Secure Boot + proprietary modules, aligning kernel + driver updates…not just linking to a loosely-affiliated third-party’s repositories.

For as crash-prone and clunky as the UI is, it is amazing how much complexity Valve’s Steam package manager abstracts away from the user.