Create an Ubuntu image for a Raspberry Pi on Ubuntu

Key Value
Summary How to create a bootable microSD card to run Ubuntu on your Raspberry Pi
Categories iot
Difficulty 2
Author Peter Mahnke peter.mahnke@canonical.com

Overview

Duration: 1:00

In this tutorial, we will walk you through creating a bootable Ubuntu microSD card for your Raspberry Pi .

What you’ll learn

How to create a bootable microSD card to run Ubuntu on your Raspberry Pi

What you’ll need

• A microSD card
  • An Ubuntu Server image
  • A computer with a microSD card drive

:warning: Warning
Following these steps will erase any existing content on the removable drive!

Please note
The following instructions are for Ubuntu users. We also have tutorials for Windows and MacOS users.

On your Ubuntu machine

Duration: 5:00

1. Download the Ubuntu image for your device in your Downloads folder
  2. Insert your microSD card
  3. Open the “Disks” application and select your microSD card
  4. In the menu, select “Restore Disk Image…
  5. Then in the “Image to Restore” box, select the Ubuntu image file you have downloaded, ending with an .xz file extension
  6. Then select the “Start Restoring…” button
  7. When it has finished writing the image, you can eject your removable drive

That’s all folks!

Duration: 1:00

You did it!

Now you can put the microSD card in your Raspberry Pi and boot it up. See the How to install Ubuntu Server on your Raspberry Pi tutorial and learn about booting it up, installing a desktop and installing software from our Snap Store.

1 Like

Where is this tutorial?

When I ran through this, I lost the link from the referring page and had to hunt around for the default username and password, which I later only found here: Thank you for downloading Ubuntu Server for Raspberry Pi | Ubuntu. That page has the added bonus of triggering a new download.

Just a note. The login ubuntu/ubuntu doesn’t work. It cannot update the password. You gotta take it off in RPI image or just add a change information like bellow:

After create the image you gotta change the ubuntu user chpasswd expire option parameter in ‘/boot/firmware/user-data’ to false. Otherwise it won’t change, ever, and you will stuck in this forever.

chpasswd:
expire: false
list:
- ubuntu:ubuntu

I agree - the tutorial link should be present at the end of the installation instructions, and should resolve here:

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-your-raspberry-pi