Create a bootable USB stick on macOS

There is no reason whatsoever to install Etcher, or any unsigned app, or indeed anything at all - I’ve just confirmed that the inbuilt “dd” command works perfectly fine to boot Ubuntu on my mac:-

sudo dd if=ubuntu-21.10-desktop-amd64.iso of=/dev/disk2 bs=8225280

Someone needs to update these old instructions ASAP, so that you’re not forcing all your users to do sketchy unsafe things and run insecure products…

We should advice people to use a 4GB thumb drive not 2 GB

Etcher is only available for x86-64. Seems like arm64 is not a supported architecture.

Even a 4GB USB Drive doesn’t seem to be big enough. Should advise for an 8GB drive.

I have a Mac Ventura and it didn’t work for me either. I followed the instructions to a T. Was formating the USB instructions done correctly? I restarted my computer holding the option button - the USB never turned yellow nor showed.

Did you use Etcher to flash the USB?
https://etcher.balena.io/
Their is one for macos

Yes, the latest LTS version of Ubuntu Desktop (at this time Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS) requires more than 4 GB. The ISO file for Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS is 4,93 GB

Wanted to say thanks to the original writer for this document. Just used it to create a bootable USB on a Mac Mini m2 and it worked flawlessly for me. Thank you!

1 Like