Commit rights to cloud-init for Alberto Contreras

Who I am

My name is Alberto Contreras. I’m a software engineer at Canonical with a background in mathematics. I have been working as a software/scientific engineer for the past 5 years in the fields of Monte-Carlo simulations, smart cities, reconciliation in banking and digital marketing using technologies as Python, C/C++ and Matlab.

How I came to work on cloud-init

I came to work on cloud-init through employment at Canonical. I have been working on cloud-init for the past 4 months.

My involvement

Examples of my work / Things I’m proud of

To date (2022-09-02), I have contributed 57 commits and 43 reviews to cloud-init.

Areas of work

I have been working on jsonschema’s functionality, config modules and general bug fixes. I worked mainly with the cloud-init team plus some interactions with UA and CPC teams.

Things I could do better

• Do more code reviews, triaging and community interaction.
  • Familiarize with cloud-init parts as networking, init stages, packaging and release machinery.
  • Technical communication.

Plans for the future

• Explore the code-base more deeply.
  • Do more code reviews, triaging and community responses.
  • Explore ideas about speeding up modules’ execution (parallelization, concurrency).
  • Increase code quality.

General

What I like least in cloud-init

• Sometimes, there are multiple ways to do the same thing and I feel that the amount of accidental complexity could be reduced via abstracting / refactoring things. I realize this is normal in a long-lived open-source project that minimizes the amount of breaking changes. But I also recognize that my exposure to the code-base is small, so I could be wrong.
  • A lot of times the only way to know what a config module is really going to perform is go and read the code. I think that improving the config modules’ documentation would have a huge impact for cloud-init’s consumer perspective.

Endorsements (1-3 endorsements required)

As a sponsor, just copy the template below, fill it out and post it as a reply to the applicants application thread.

Endorsers TEMPLATE

Endorsers Feedback

Please fill us in on your shared experience. Notable pull requests, improvements to the project, documentation, or special expertise brought to bear

Specific Experiences of working together

Please add good examples of your work together, but also cases that could have handled better.

Areas of Improvement

Please note specific areas that the application can continue to improve and watch out for going forward

What reviewers are looking for

• a continued history of work (6 months?)
  • breadth of codebase
  • breadth of types of work
    • tests and their quality in both functional and unit test types
    • documentation
    • PRs
    • QA, release assistance
    • reviews of PRs, not their own and not only in their special focus of the codebase
  • Endorsements from the Ubuntu process
    • 1-3 endorsements in your application from existing committers
  • demonstrates an understanding of limits of knowledge and shows a reach out to others when appropriate.

Endorsers Feedback

Alberto has come up to speed on cloud-init very quickly and is a solid contributor to the team. In his short time working on the project, he has contributed a number of high quality PRs, along with reviewing the code of others. He has extensive python knowledge, and is able to quickly come to a solution when dealing with complicated bugs and features. He has an eye for quality, and has added numerous tests, typing additions, and test quality updates. Alberto has also gone through the release and SRU process with assistance, and should be able to independently produce releases in the future.

As an employee at Canonical, I have interacted with Alberto daily in the cloud-init standups and reviewed many of his PRs. He is always open to feedback and quickly applies suggestions.

Areas of Improvement

Alberto should continue to review PRs to gain a wider knowledge of the code base, even if he isn’t knowledgeable enough of the area to give a voting approval. Alberto could also do more to field questions and drive discussions in IRC. I believe this will happen organically as he gains experience with the project.

Overall

+1

1 Like

Endorsers Feedback

Alberto has been an frequent contributor since he joined the team, and he quickly demonstrated his ability to join in stride with existing refactoring efforts, evaluate and fix bugs, contribute features and give welcoming and constructive feedback to pull requests.

This PR fixes a high-importance bug.
This PR is an example of Alberto stepping up to offer a fix to a failing test during a handoff prior to an imminent release. This one made it feel like we had a geographic advantage and were able to work faster than a centrally located team could have.
This PR is an example of a larger PR that required multiple rounds of revisions and multiple reviewers.

Areas of Improvement

Covered already

Overall

+1

1 Like