Chromium hardware-accelerated build for Intel-based platforms available for beta testing

Thank you for the great post!
It helped a lot to me and hw acceleration now works on my GPU also:
Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (verified on two different Intel CPUs)
Also, just to mention that for me I had to use the following arguments, maybe it helps to someone else also:

chromium --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecodeLinuxGL --disable-features=UseChromeOSDirectVideoDecoder --ignore-gpu-blacklist --enable-zero-copy

Question: do you maybe know when this change will land in the stable Chromium branch?
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi! Do we have any ETA for this coming to the stable channel?
Thanks!

Nope, sorry, I lost access to the testing server and my computer is sufficiently old to only support the i965 Intel driver. I’ll try to get that prerequisite solved. Meanwhile, keep on beta/edge for it.

1 Like

We’re still working on re-enabling the tests, unfortunately much went stale or updated and broke them.

But as mentioned before, Chromium already has most of this upstream so in stable it’s just a matter of passing the flags we use in edge and beta:

chromium --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder,VaapiVideoEncoder,VaapiVideoDecodeLinuxGL,UseChromeOSDirectVideoDecoder --enable-native-gpu-memory-buffers --ozone-platform-hint=auto