Changes to Ubuntu Desktop Can Affect Flavors

Hi Desktop Team!

I just wanted to throw out this friendly reminder that Edubuntu is not only using the Ubuntu session and building on that, but also seeds are based off the ubuntu-minimal seed.

So, with that in mind, please remember, that every single change you make, no matter how well-intentioned or well thought-out, might affect other flavors, especially Edubuntu. I just had to blacklist gnome-initial-setup because the branding doesn’t fit (literally hardcoded via patches) and won’t get fixed before release, and I really hate throwing the baby out with the bathwater on things like that.

Please, in the future, check to see if what you’re hard-patching is seeded by another flavor and ask what the best approach is before making such changes. The best way is to make configurable assets, or at least something that can be changed via dpkg-divert and not svgs or wording hardcoded via a patch.

We’re all in this together, and Ubuntu Desktop has the power to affect everybody and does quite often. This isn’t the first time this has happened, but I really want it to be the last time.

Thanks,
Erich

7 Likes

Hey Erich,

We are well aware that some components are shared and try to consider the impact on flavors when doing change. The Noble cycle has been challenging for the archive reasons everyone knows and that has also impacted Ubuntu Desktop. We have limited engineering capacity and we are struggling to do the work needed for Ubuntu Desktop itself so haven’t been really in position to help others as much as we would have liked.

I’m going to add that the main desktop uploaders are usually actively engaged with the flavors, joining the sync calls, being responsive to reports/IRC pings/participating the flavor discussions on Matrix.

I’ve followed up with questions on the bug the day it was reported, I think we could easily have fixed it for release but it was blocked on getting a reply to my question, now might be a bit late and you took another path which I guess it’s an ok outcome.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I was travelling so I didn’t have a chance to get back to you on that, so I’m hoping this can be an SRU item.

Yes, it seems like a valid SRU candidate to me.

Previously, there was little motivation to do SRUs for gnome-initial-setup because for many people it would only be shown on first boot and updates were not installed until after first boot. But the new Ubuntu Desktop installer does install all updates during the install so a fix like this can reach people before the ISOs are regnerated for new LTS point releases.

3 Likes

@eeickmeyer
Valid points!

Not as a solution but just to improve the situation I would appreciate if you could join on yaru.dart and help us develop a better implementation of your theme
Best regards

https://github.com/ubuntu/yaru.dart

Edit: or maybe could get into contact

We have a discord server: https://discord.gg/vJgPV9Yn3n
Or if you prefer Matrix I can contact you there
or just write me a DM here :slight_smile: