Can't type upper-case letters or use the backspace key in 16.04 or 18.01

I have tried to use both Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.01 running in a Hyper-V version 6.1.7601.17514 environment.

I load either Ubuntu version and I can login to both versions using upper and lower-case letters with special characters without any trouble so I think the Hyper-V/Ubuntu connection is working.

I get to the Ubuntu desktop and open a LibreOffice Writer session and start typing.

I can type lower-case but not upper-case and the backspace and Tab key won’t work. There may be others but I haven’t run across them yet.

I have checked the keyboard settings in 16.04 and they are set to US but each time I try to check the keyboard settings in 18.01 the system logs me out and I have to login again but still can’t get to system setting.

How is it that I can login to Ubuntu using upper and lower-case letters and special characters during the login process but not use them once Ubuntu desktop has loaded?

Also, why does it keep logging me out?

Thanks

This site is for the co-ordination of the Ubuntu project, and not support.

For Ubuntu Support options, you will find many listed https://community.ubuntu.com/t/finding-help/712

ps: there was no January release this year (18.01); I think you mean 18.04 (2018.April)

Sorry, didn’t realize. Thank you,

1 Like