[Call for topics] Community Council meeting: 20171207


First meeting of December of the community council.
December 07th, 2017 at 17:00UTC in #ubuntu-meeting on irc.freenode.net


  • Progress from last meeting
  • Google Code-in updates
  • Deal with the CC ML spams
  • Create a private HUB category for CC to use instead of ML
  • Create a list of CC ressources and make clear the usage of each.

Please suggest more topics for the meeting replying to this post.

I suggest to talk a little about how the google code-in is going so far.

1 Like

Added that to the list

Not sure I can make it for that time, it’s a bit too early for me especially when I work, I finish work at 17:30 CET.
I’ll connect asap.

@elacheche lets start with an update of the action items from the previous meeting:

  • @popey and @elacheche to start a discussion about the wiki.
  • Everybody to promote and participate on the ubuntu community appreciation day.
  • @wxl to announce the new loco council and help with the transition.
  • @Wimpress to investigate about publishing the community council RSS from the hub to the planet.
  • @elopio to make a proposal for multilanguage in the hub.

Ops… sorry it’s not LOCO but Community Council meeting… I read it in a hurry.

1 Like

you are welcome anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure if it’s in the scope of the community council, but I think it’s important (but not easy) to do something about launchpad. It is such an incredible barrier to contributing. This is made worse by the fact that we’re stuck at the moment: launchpad is vital for Ubuntu and there is no worthy alternative…

Are there any plans to solve this issue? Is launchpad still on life support? A possible solution might be to move to gitlab, but I suspect it will require significant engineering effort to make gitlab do everything Ubuntu needs…

1 Like

Not much has changed since this discussion two years ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/2z09af/whats_the_future_of_launchpad/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=comment_list

It’s striking how divided the community is about this: long time contributors who are very familiar with it love it and say that nothing comes near it feature-wise. New users and casual contributors are confused by it and are scared away…

Meanwhile, more and more projects move to github in order to lower the barrier to contributing.

Here’s that hijacking thread issue again @merlijn-sebrechts :slight_smile: Please make a new topic of this. It is worthy of discussion. I think what’s important is making real clear points on what the issues are. Is this a bug issue, development/packaging issue, or what exactly?

I will say two things, kind of pointing in opposite directions:

  1. Debian is moving to GitLab
  2. Launchpad is actively developed and supports git if the concern is one of VCS preferences.

One other thing to note is that I proposed adding Phabricator as something we at least have available for infrastructure. Though I’m not sure about this whole DCO/CLA issue now that I read that article on Debian’s move to GitLab.