Call For Testing: Ubuntu with nVIDIA graphic cards

Do you have a nVIDIA graphics card? Do you want to help ensure users have a smooth experience if they choose to use the proprietary or open source drivers?

We are looking for committed volunteers to test nVIDIA with proprietary and open source
drivers. The goal of this testing is to catch regressions early in the cycle, and fix bugs before they reach a major audience. It is for Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic) or Ubuntu 18.10 (Cosmic), in laptop or PC machines.

If you want to be part of the team you will need:

1. A computer with a nVIDIA graphics card
  2. A spare partition on that system (Only If you wish to run the install test)
    • If you don’t have a spare partition you can easily create one.
  3. An Internet connection

The cycle starts at 08/29/2018 and finishes 2 weeks later at 09/12/2018

Later In this post you will find the setting up instructions. Additionally, for testing details instructions and how the QA tracker works, you can visit:
QA Tracker details
and follow the detailed instructions.

Thanks for helping to make Ubuntu even better!

== Setting Up Instructions ==

1. If you wish to test the installation process, we suggest you to have a spare partition, because the program involves fresh installations of Ubuntu. If you don’t have a spare partition, you can create one following this steps: Resize partition instructions. If you don’t want to test the installation process, you should run the test that involves booting a live session.
  2. I know some of you have several systems, but our tracker has some limitations that prevent to provide two results for the same account. To avoid creating too much trouble, just select one of your systems and test ALWAYS with that system.
  3. You have to have an account in Launchpad. We are going to use it to generate data (it will be publicly available). If you don’t have a launchpad account, follow these steps:
  4. Go to Launchpad.
  5. Click on “Log In/register”
  6. Enter your email address and select “I do not have an Ubuntu One account”
  7. Enter the data and verify your email.
  8. With your launchpad credentials, you have to login into the tracker: http://xorg.qa.ubuntu.com
  9. Once you’re done with the tracker, add yourself to the list of participants in this page.
  10. You’re all set!
5 Likes

What if people use a flavour?

Or are you only interested in Ubuntu?

Reason being things like https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-340/+bug/1761593 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-390/+bug/1761593

If you’re not interested in flavours checking - then that’s fine, just want to know either way.

1 Like

@flocculant

Two things:

1. This is a QA (Quality Assurance) request. That means that you need to install fresh one of the specified Linux distributions, perform the designated tests and report back the results. You do not reuse your existing Linux installation because you cannot be sure that any result is messed up by some settings here and there.
  2. This driver testing is common among all Ubuntu flavours. They will all benefit in the end. There is indeed a small chance that some bug might be specific to a particular window manager. Those are caught when you do QA testing for your specific Ubuntu flavour, just before a release. Here is the QA page for the testing of Ubuntu 18.04 for individual flavours.
1 Like

For this particular case only Ubuntu is involved in the testing and only the versions mentioned. Thanks!

What’s the time investment like for volunteers?

I have some severe problems using Nvidia proprietary driver,

Since start using Bionic it is kind of nightmare to suspend my computer or turn off the screen, I have submitted some bugs to nvidia-graphics-drivers

Thanks in advance

I think it depends on whether you face problems after installation or not. But a couple of hours should be enough.

First issue to solve: allow to disable Nvidia audio hdmi output in order to use motherboard audio chipset. Graphic card and motherboard chipset share same module in Ubuntu so I can’t just blacklist the graphic card module.

Yea - thanks - I’m in the Xubuntu Team so know most of that.

However - this driver testing isn’t common among flavours - read heber’s reply :wink:

Thanks heber.

Answers my question :wink:

Hi @heber013,
I have reported bug #1790219 after testing Nvidia-driver-390 proprietary driver on my DELL XPS-8900.

Hi @carla-sella , thanks for your testing. @jibel replied in your bug asking for more information about it. Can you check if you can add it? Thanks!

I just replied the bug. Thanks.
Carla

I have also same problem with ubuntu installing, every time my computer is freezing, so if i edit boot screen with “acpi=off”, in that case i can install ubuntu properly, but the problem is after installation again my computer is freezing. Please kindly help me out.
my Computer is:
core-i7 8th gen clock speed 2.2 ghz
8 gb RAM
128 ssd and 1 TB hard disk
Nvidia graphics GeForce GTX 1050 with intel graphics
HP pavilion gaming series laptop

@santupal, did you try to blacklist nouveau (open source nv driver) by either

1. add booting parameter module_blacklist=nouveau
  2. or something like

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-disable-nouveau-nvidia-driver-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

If option 1 is easier for you, go for it. Then just install the proprietary nv driver by

$ sudo ubunt-drivers autoinstall

This will install nvidia 390 driver on bionic.

Note that you need to do apt update once before ubuntu-drivers starts to work. Note that this
will also blacklist nouveau, so if you choose option 2, you might want to remove duplicated
config file.

@ycheng-twn After installing ubuntu, i goto to additional driver, and see both nvidia 390 and open sourse graphics are there. i select nvidia 390 and reboot, the same problem come. Then i goto recovery mode and enter my profile and blacklist both nvidia and nouveau, but still the same problem come.

Great opportunity, i found this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-settings/+bug/1791951

@santupal, sorry my experience didn’t help in your case.

Does it work if you try to manually config so to use the audio output on the motherboard ?

Thanks everyone to participate in the testing. Here you can find a summary of the testing efforts:
Call for testing summary doc
Feel free to still report bugs if found.

1 Like